High Plains Raceway

Home Forums General Discussion High Plains Raceway

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Doug Haner
    Participant

I come from a “big car” background, namely SCCA Solo2, and have recently thrown myself into this wonderfull community of yours.

I’m not sure how many of you are aware, but since the recent demise of Second Creek Raceway a new organization has been formed and comitted itself to building a new road course for the Denver metro area. This organization is CAMA (Colorado Amatuer Motorsports Association) and is a conglomeration (sp?) of amatuer groups such as the SCCA, BMWCCA, and the like.

Anyways, everything is now set for the building of a new raceway in Byers, called High Plains Raceway.

http://highplainsraceway.com/track.html

I know that SCR was friendly to karts, and I’m sure that HPR will be as well. So, I just wanted to make people aware of the fact that this is going to happen. The land is purchased the zoning is in, the only thing holding it back right now is the funding. Over two and half million has been raised thus far with 3 million needed.

Hopefullly once its done we could maybe get a CSC race or something out there as the plans for the track look great. Check out the sight, they’ve even got some links to simulated laps.

mweatherman
    Participant

Do you know if they are planning on lighting the new track so they can have night races?

Rick Schmidt
    Participant

Pete Romenesko seems to know quite a bit about this facility. Where you at Pete?

Racing at night would be cool. Bandimere at night was awesome.

Rick

Jeff Field
    Participant

Road racing looks sick. I’m in.

Wouldn’t it then be CRRC?

Doug Haner
    Participant

@mweatherman wrote:

Do you know if they are planning on lighting the new track so they can have night races?

I’m not positive. The detailed plans for the track look to be pretty intense so I would hope that lighting would eventually be done.

@jibco wrote:

Road racing looks sick. I’m in.

Wouldn’t it then be CRRC?

Touche’

Doug Haner
    Participant

Just a quick update.

I got an email today that all of the funding is secured. Official groundbreaking ceremony is Fri. and they are expecting it to be ready for 2009.

All I have to say is……………Thank God :rotate:

After rumors of PMI being possibly purchased/taken over, this is a big sigh of relief.

Doug Haner
    Participant

@Chuck D wrote:

All I have to say is……………Thank God :rotate:

After rumors of PMI being possibly purchased/taken over, this is a big sigh of relief.

I’m telling you. Figures that once I got rid of my WRX they’d get another track here close.

I might have to find me an early model Miata to play out there with. Or maybe upgrade to a shifter. But that’d take a lot of blood sold.

Doug Welch
    Participant

PPIR has been bought and will open for SCCA club, NASA, RMVR, road race bike and car club track use. There also maybe a karting element. It too early to tell for sure as they are still trying to figure out the master plan. At this point, it looks like the track is the golf course(a metaphor) for the industrial development they want to do.

If someone took a 125 shifter kart around High Plains Raceway, it would be quickest short of a full blown IRL car. At Second Creek, Greg in his 60cc shifter was quicker than a full blown 911.

Doug Haner
    Participant

PPIR is gonna be back as well? That’s awesome. At last year’s SOLO nationals a 125 shifter set the fastest time of the event. Clearly the handling and power to weight ratio of a kart is a force for big cars to recognize. Greg’s a hell of a driver, but to do that with only 60ccs is nothing short of amazing. Although, assuming that was what? 3 or 4 years ago? He probably only weighed like 70lbs at the time, huh? 😆

Jeff Welch
    Participant

@D fresh wrote:

PPIR is gonna be back as well? That’s awesome. At last year’s SOLO nationals a 125 shifter set the fastest time of the event. Clearly the handling and power to weight ratio of a kart is a force for big cars to recognize. Greg’s a hell of a driver, but to do that with only 60ccs is nothing short of amazing. Although, assuming that was what? 3 or 4 years ago? He probably only weighed like 70lbs at the time, huh? 😆

Hah!
    Yeah, it would have been around 2000 or 2001 when we last raced at Second Creek. I was in 80cc at the time, and we were running faster than the Formula Fords could!
    I think a 125 shifter held the track record out there for awhile, until Paul Tracy showed up in his Champ Car for a test day.

Doug Haner
    Participant

Cool, you guys really did “cut your teeth” doing this huh?

I only got to do a couple of track days in my WRX out there before they closed it. I only had about 2 or 3 AutoXs under my belt at the time and it was my only experience on a full size road course. It was an awesome track, too bad it went the way of the DoDo. I never knew Paul Tracy did a test day out there. I assume it was in prep for one of the Denver Grand Prixs, again, too bad that’s gone as well.

Anyways, its great that Colorado road courses are making a comeback.

As I said before, it’d be sweet if there could be a CSC (or maybe something to replace the Greeley Grand Prix) race out there next year. I know its not really a “sprint” course, but I’ll bet it’d be awesome.

Jeff Welch
    Participant

@D fresh wrote:

As I said before, it’d be sweet if there could be a CSC (or maybe something to replace the Greeley Grand Prix) race out there next year. I know its not really a “sprint” course, but I’ll bet it’d be awesome.

Racing a full-size track is fun. They’re really boring to just drive in a kart, honestly, but the drafting battles in a race are ridiculous. You can literally be a second or two off the pace and still run nose to tail with the leaders. The races almost always end two or three wide at the start finish line.
    A big thing with racing on car track is safety. A lot of times, there’s just not enough runoff room for karts. Walls meant to stop 2000lb cars are not kind to 350lb go-karts. If Second Creek still existed, I honestly would not race on it again. But, from the stuff I’ve seen on High Plains so far, it looks like it could be a really safe track to race a kart on.

Eddy Wyatt
    Participant

Great news guys, we are truely fortunate living in Colorado with so many awesome racing venues. PPIR is only 15 minutes from our front door!!!

Eddy
    SoCo Kart Shop

Jeff Field
    Participant

Isn’t PPIR just a weak roval with ~5 corners on the infield? I’d wager they have a lot of weeding to do before any laps.

High plains looks cool. I’d really like to try some road racing in the next year. Sounds like there may be a big kart race on the outer (or full) course at Miller in August 09.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.