Whos the chassis expert

Home Forums General Discussion Whos the chassis expert

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Question…. being Im new to this I need a expert……….When it comes to chassis I know nothing. Who makes a GP chassis and is it a good quality chassis for a beginner. If someone could list some good chassis for a tag package for a 6’1″ guy and give me the reasons you think its good….ie price, quality, ease of getting parts.

I know so many of these chassis are made by the same company…..if someone could give me that information (who makes which ones).

Thanks for all your help

Tim

David Watkins
    Participant

Hi Tim,

GP chassis are built by CRG. The local dealer and expert is AJ Noud from Rocky Mountain Kartworks. The new GP8 has extended pedal mounts for taller guys like you and I. Parts availability is good and AJ is at most races with parts/chassis tuning support. The chassis are pretty reasonably priced and extremely high quality. Good luck with your new purchase and I strongly recommend getting in touch with AJ.

stacey cook
    Participant

Tim,

Take a look at the CRG, the extended porch is removable so you can take it on or off in about 10 minutes.. This is really handy when it comes time to sell or upgrade as most all other chassis come built that way and you can not remove them. There are alot more buyers for standard chassis than an extended one so makes it much easier when it comes time to sell…. We have both new and used chassis with extended porch kits in stock…. Grand Junction Motor Speedway 970.256.0107

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dave and Stacy

Thanks for the information……How do I get ahold of AJ? Ok… I dont want to sound like a dullard here but ….extended porch? I assume you both are talking about the front section where the pedals are right?

Tim

Jon Romenesko
    Participant

@fuzzy wrote:

….extended porch? I assume you both are talking about the front section where the pedals are right?

You would be correct. Extended porch simply means that the pedals are mounted further forward (than a normal chassis) to give you tall guys a bit more room….you know, so you aren’t eating your knees when your driving.

AJ Noud’s number is 303-587-4656. The GP is a fantastic chassis. One of the best supported around here, which is important. Been on it a year now and I can’t say enough good things about the chassis or the guys using them. 🙂 GIve AJ a call, see what he has to say.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Fuzzy,

I have a Birel and love it. But why would’nt I? I’ m new and don’t know the difference. Any limitations I have are not equipment related, they are because I have a lot to learn. I guess my point is that as long as the chassis fits, is not bent, is safe and the motor package is sound, it will serve you well. I have been out practicing and have been passed by guys like they had a turbo. I could only smell their exhaust for a few seconds before they were off and away. They have the same package I have! So, get something that meets the above criteria, drive like crazy, take some lessons, ask a lot of questions and hope that in a year or so you can point to a problem in your equipment. I’m far away from being able to clain that!

Happy Thanksgiving

Jim Keesling
    Participant

Pat,
    You are so correct. Birel has an extended porch, and they are great karts. So are a lot of ones out there. The point is, seat time, seat time, seat time. Drive, drive and drive some more.
    Fuzzy, we can help if you are interested.
    Jim

Anonymous
    Inactive

To everyone thank you….Im just a little rusty in the karting department. Jim been on your track it is awesome and looking forward to finding a kart and going racing. I know nothing comes to you overnight, I know all about seat time. Im looking for a good quality, parts readily available chassis, I just need to know from the racers what they recommend.

When you extend the porch on a kart does that effect the handling…ie balance, weight distribution?

Im sure I will have more questions….stayed tuned HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE

Tim

Rick Schmidt
    Participant

Tim,

Pretty much what everybody has offered is good information. I believe you you can make most any chassis work and run up front. Get something common that is well supported with tuning info and spares. (as mentioned) Also talk to the sources of these karts and see who you mesh well with. You’ll be dealing with them, hopefully for years to come and you need to have a good relationship. A large number of todays machines are manufactured by 4 – 5 big companies and built to the particular brands spec, most have very good components.

You did not mention your weight or class you are aiming at. Driver weight affects chassis dynamics. Choose something that is going to work for you for a couple of years. Spend the money now for something decent. I’ve seen too many racers getting in with a marginal package, their driving skills improve and they could be potential contenders at some point in the season. Now they need that little bit more and have to go spend the money for a current package in addition to their original purchase. Should have just bought a potential winner in the first place. Plus resale is better if you decide it’s just not for you. Most who say they just want to get something for fun eventually end up keeping up with those guys who used to “pass like they had turbo’s” and when they can hang with the more experienced drivers want to learn racecraft. There is nothing like wheel to wheel competition in my opinion.

If you want to forward me an contact email. I’ll send you some files that you can mull over while your getting this fire burning inside of you. I can forward excellent information about chassis set up, driver development, tuning etc… But give me an idea of what class / classes your thinking about and I’ll make it more specific to you.

Finally. You may not need an extended porch, depending on your proportions. 6’1″ is not that tall. There are a lot of racers out there who adjust the pedals and race a conventional chassis. Mike Jansen is quite a bit taller than you, and performs pretty well. If you’re just tall and have a short torso but long legs, you may opt for the extention. If you’re average in proportion, there are a lot of things you can do to make the kart comfortable and handle. (shorten the steering shaft, wedge the steering wheel, tilt the column forward, lay the pedals forward etc… About balance; the seat is the most important tuning component in the kart. That is why your body proprtions are important. If the seat is not in the correct spot, it will never handle correct and you’ll not have the fun you should in karting. It will just lead to frustration for you. Your forward and aft Cg are typically offset by the weight of your legs ahead of Cg, countering the seat being slighty positioned aft of standard mounting. I have some dimensions for the Crg / Gp seat mounting if needed for comparison. We’ve also learned that tall drivers respond well to a$$ forward / shoulders back, in a slightly more reclined attitude than standard, keeping the rear more free. Tall drivers tend to transfer a lot of weight and sometimes too much weight. We’ve seen some that look like a catamaran with the inside tires several inches off the ground in the turns. While this is great for stunt driving, it is not the fast way around.

Respond, Pm, call or whatever. I’ll hook you up with some info.

Rick
    303-886-4190

Anonymous
    Inactive

Rick

My email is [email protected]……anything you can send me is welcome. I like to read and learn.

Im 6’1′” 190 pounds tag masters. :rev

Tim

Rick Schmidt
    Participant

Ok Fuzz,
    Here goes. I have to send in bits, some files are big. Do you know what motor yet? (not going to send you Delorto info if you’re going Leopard) Have you considered Tag 4-Stroke? Many of last years Tag Masters are going that direction. More power, but more drivable power, less tuning fuss, more time to polish the driving skills and race craft skills.

Have you sat in a kart that is set up for a tall driver? You may actually add weight to race in Masters. Where do you live? Jansen lives in Longmont and I’m sure he wouldn’t mind you sitting in his kart to see if there are obstructions or if it feels uncomfortable. Just a thought. He is the tallest driver in our region, probably a few inches taller than you and carrying another 10 – 20 lbs. You’re only an inch taller than Roman and a hell of a lot lighter. Maybe try Romans on and see. Front porch may not be needed.

I’ll send stuff.

Rick

cgordon
    Participant

Hi Fuzzy,

I’m 6′ 1″ and I run without an extended porch in TaG Master. I’ve driven Birel, CRG, GP, and Shockwave karts and haven’t felt the need for an extended porch in any of those. Usually there’s enough adjustment in the pedals and the steering to let me be comfortable. I live in Erie and you’re welcome to try my kart on for size if you want.

Charles

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok….fill me in what motor are the tag masters 4 stroke running? Im a former flathead briggs guy so I understand those………I was mulling around the Leopard………..Ive looked at the rotax…..Im not real sure right know.

Any suggestions……..I have the speal from different people on the Leopard vs the Rotax…..but I always up for listening to others.
    Dont want to start a arugement but Im just trying to make the right decision.

Tim

Anonymous
    Inactive

Rick

Got all of those emails……thank you. It will give me something to read when its nasty outside. If you have anything else please send it, I will take as much as I can get. Im hopeful I will find a kart soon and be ready when the season starts.

Tim

Doug Welch
    Participant

Next year, The Track at Centennial will be running a Masters DD2 class. It will be a true Masters, class, with 35 the minimum age. Weight will be 420#. The class will run with the regular DD2 class, scored seperatly. Personally, I think this class is an excellent choice for the over 35 gentleman or lady who is looking for more power and speed but not the violent ride of a shifter. This package is almost as fast as a stock moto shifter and is faster than the 4 cycles (same power but with a gear box).

The cost of a DD2 package is $1,000 to $1,200 less than any of the current 4 cycles when you include the radiator and mounts. The DD2 comes with a warranty backed by one of the largest companies in the world of recreational engines. For most racers, this package will be far less maintenance than just about any kart engine, mainly due to the drive system the DD2 offers (no chain). We have seen a tremendous amount of interest with several engines sold this fall. The other thing that is good for DD2 drivers is that the rules package is world wide and has been stable for several years.

By the way, 6’1″ is not too tall for a standard chassis. My son Greg is 6’2″ and we use a standard kart for him. An extended porch is not really necessary until the driver is in the 6′ 4″ range.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.