US Grand Prix not returning to Indy

Home Forums General Discussion US Grand Prix not returning to Indy

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Boman
    Participant

US Grand Prix not returning to Indy
    By Associated Press
    1 hour ago
    http://www.comcast.net/sports/motorsports/index.jsp?cat=AUTORACING&fn=/2007/07/12/712872.html

Garrick Mitchell
    Participant

Thanks Bernie! :idn:

Aw, heck… What does it matter? Anymore, I’m content to read about F1 in AutoWeek. “Oooooh, look! Raikonnen overtook Massa during a round of pit stops!”

Note to Mr. Ecclestone: Take the wings off the cars, then get back to me. 😉

joescal
    Participant

…better then watching an all day bump and grind yellow flagfest called racing-I mean Nascar?
    I know that sooooo many people LOVVVVVE nascar but I dont get it. How much EXTRA commentary and banter can people actually endure in that arena-the announcers alone are enough to go out back and shoot yourself in the head!

I agree wholeheartedly but Mr. Ecclstone doesnt like to listen -Yes lets take off the wings and get the F1 cars so they can at least race in dirty air- AND get the money back to this galaxy, let alone earth, -like that will ever happen????.

Nascar is pricing itself out of its market as well-isnt Rousch looking for a way to race next year? I know I’m going to get hammered for this one…

For my viewing dollar I think the Rolex Grand Am series is hard to beat.
    2 classes at the same time-good stuff.

Anything that involves a track that turns both directions-(in the same race) and a car that can actually handle turning both directions in the same race (WHAT A CONCEPT!) is better then the alternative. The few road courses that Nascar drives doesnt count.

dont know Garrick if you’re a nascar fan but I’m just venting my view on the sport-as Craig Neff so eloquently displays ITZALGUD or something like that.

bring it on…

cheers, j

Garrick Mitchell
    Participant

Nastycar doesn’t even register on my radar screen. Montoya won? Huh?

Tony LaPorta
    Participant

Go NASCAR :woohoo , Go Tony Stewart :win , “Rubbins Racin” :banana

Road Runner
    TaG Jr #20

Jay Luttrull
    Participant

Joe,

The fact is that the Indy 500 has ben replaced by the Daytona 500 as the Great American Race. NASCAR is here to stay! Please get use to it. BTW Why is Mike Rosen giving an interview to the current late model points leader at Colorado Natoinal Speedway between 9 and 12 on his show tomorrow morning on 850 KOA if left turn racing is such a joke. Joe quit bashing racing and support it like I do!!!

Thanks,

Jay Luttrull

Jay Luttrull
    Participant

Oh I forgot that drag racers Melanie Troxil and last years Funny Car Champ John Force will be on the radio 850AM as well. How’s that for some publicty?

Tony LaPorta
    Participant

Jay,
    :clap:

Road Runner
    TaG Jr #20

joescal
    Participant

I asked for it…I dont need to support anything Nascar is fine without me.-It’s all good, some of my best friends are sprint car drivers and win at it.
    I personally don’t understand going in circles-thats all-as I said its all good.
    Just a little bashing -I think Nascar can handle it-whats the moto-if youre not bashing your not racing. In open wheel if your trading paint you’re flying over over the next guy!
    Just having fun guys…(‘:cheers:’)

Mike Jansen
    Participant

@joescal wrote:

In open wheel if your trading paint you’re flying over over the next guy!
    Just having fun guys…(‘:cheers:’)

Case in point: did anyone see the GP2 race from France? That’s what happens when you be “rubbing”

Give me the Indy 500 anyday…

joescal
    Participant

that kid was lucky his head didnt land ON the top of the wall he was cartwheeling on! He would have surely be decapitated. As it was- his steering wheel took the impact.

Anonymous
    Inactive

NASCAR may be more popular in the mainstream, however, your kidding yourself if think Tony Stewart or Jeff Gordon wouldn’t trade a Daytona 500 and/or Brickyard 400 win for an Indy 500 win.

The fact is that racing is a niche sport. NASCAR is trying to make it mainstream and they have done an excellent job of raising the awareness of it, good for them. However, many people have checked it out and are not coming back. See the downward trend in ratings and attendance at the events. While Indycars do not attract nowhere near the total crowds or TV ratings (except for Indy), they are not experiencing the downward trend because their niche fanbase does not waver like mainstream America.

There is room for both and both are good for what they are. I just don’t see the need to try to drag the INDY 500 into a F1/NASCAR discussion. If you don’t think the INDY 500 is very, very special, you obviously haven’t ever been to it. It is extremely special. NASCAR’s pr machine my tell you it isn’t important anymore, but racing people know it is.

Of course this is my opinion, your individual mileage may vary.

Enjoy.

joescal
    Participant

…read the original post-Its about F1 not coming back to Indy (US) next year. This has nothing to do with Indy Car Racing (IRL) ..I guess now it does.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.