Newbie Question on Transporting Karts

Home Forums General Discussion Newbie Question on Transporting Karts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Uber Wagon
    Participant

Hello,

I am seriouslly considering getting into this sport, but one of my biggest concerns is transporting the kart to and from the track as there is no way I have room to store a trailer at my house.

I currently drive a Subaru Forester. Is it possible to fit a kart in the back of a vehicle like this with minimial disassembly or am I kidding myself?

Any reccomendations?

Thanks,

Nick

Doug Welch
    Participant

You probably can but who wants a oily go kart in the back. What many guys do is get one of those small untility trailers that lean up againest the wall of the garage. It works fine for running around to you local track.

Rick Schmidt
    Participant

Here is a link for a inexpensive trailer I’ve seen at the track.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42708

They have models going up from this one as well. Your Subaru will pull this safely with the proper hitch.

Just do it!

Rick

Kirk Deason
    Participant

Nick, I got my kart to the track in the back of my subie. Don’t do it. I only did it about 3 times before I bought the trailor. You’ll spend an hour (or more) putting it all together once you get to the track. Not fun when everyone else is out ripping around.

Get the harbor freight trailor. I have it and it works great. Welcome to karting. Keep asking questions, we’ll help you out. I just started last year, I kinda know what you are going through.

Kirk

Jon Romenesko
    Participant

Well, i’m in my 2nd year….and still havent bought a trailer. 8)

We use my mom’s Town & Country minivan (they actually make great trucks with the rear seats removed!). We only have to take the sidepods and rear wheels off to fit the kart in the van (put a heavy duty moving blanket down first). After a few attempts, we were able to get the packing sequence down pretty well (its like playing Tetris :loony: ). Just make sure you set stuff on top of the kart (if you have to) carefully!. My Dad and i have gotten it down to about only a 30 minute teartown/setup of most of our stuff, which isnt too bad.

…..however, its still a huge pain in the butt. A Subaru is a bit smaller on the inside though, and i’d bet it would be tough. Over time, you’ll accumulate more and more stuff. If you can, get a trailer, i really wish we had one.

Garrick Mitchell
    Participant

I have the Harbor Freight flatbed trailer with 12″ wheels, and it certainly gets the job done if you’re not afraid to turn some wrenches (better not be if you’re looking at karting!). I decked it with 1/2″ plywood (should’ve used 3/4″) and built up two rails out of 2×4 to lift the kart above the fenders. I wonder if the same trailer with smaller wheels also has shorter fenders…

Of course, I had to put a hitch and trailer wiring on the Mazda6 wagon, and after a friendly City inspector said I can’t park the trailer on an unused section of my driveway, I had to get a little clever about storing it. But it all came down to, “how badly do I want a kart?” Badly enough, it looks like… 🙂

The Harbor Freight trailers can be folded and stood on end, but that’s best done with a second pair of hands available, and you’d feel better tying the top of the folded trailer to something in the off chance those little plastic casters decide to give up. Still, it’s a heck of a trailer for the money ($204 on sale AND with a 15% coupon).

Rodney Ebersole
    Participant

“Any reccomendations?”
    The luggage rack on top.

Uber Wagon
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I will have to look into one of the smaller trailers that I might be able to lean up against the side of the garage. (The neighbors are going to love me I am sure!)

-N

Rick Schmidt
    Participant

If your neighbors have a issue with storing your trailer outside. Seems like you could rig a block and tackle lift and hoist it up to the rafters in your garage. Provided you go with a small trailer.

You’ll be surprised how full the inside of the old Subie will get, even with a trailer.

Rodney Ebersole
    Participant

If you need some help acclimatizing your neighbors. I have an old yard kart you could leave strapped on top of your car in the driveway during non race days. 😛

swhannum
    Participant

Kartique makes a transporting kart stand that slides onto a receiver hitch. The wheels fold up and you put the kart on top, when you get to the track or home you pull it off the hitch fold the wheels down and you have your kart stand! Small trailers are great but you still need a kart stand ounce you get there, this does both. They are available at Action Karting (Bandimere) or CRE for $379.95 and come with the hitch adapter.

stacey cook
    Participant

Move to Grand Junction and rent one of our garages at the track :cheers:

Uber Wagon
    Participant

@swhannum wrote:

Kartique makes a transporting kart stand that slides onto a receiver hitch. The wheels fold up and you put the kart on top, when you get to the track or home you pull it off the hitch fold the wheels down and you have your kart stand! Small trailers are great but you still need a kart stand ounce you get there, this does both. They are available at Action Karting (Bandimere) or CRE for $379.95 and come with the hitch adapter.

I was actually considering building something like this so I am very intrigued! I will have to go check this out.

EDIT: Looks like this is what you are talking about?:
    http://www.kartiqueracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=60&osCsid=133479b85164fd12fe857a745f913edc

Anonymous
    Inactive

I picked up one of the kart stands that mount to the trailer hitch.

It works great for me. I have a trailer now, however, it is nice to have the option just throwing everything in my truck and hitching the kart on the back.

Uber Wagon
    Participant

@stacey cook wrote:

Move to Grand Junction and rent one of our garages at the track :cheers:

If my last visit was any indication I don’t think I am old enough to move to Grand Junction yet! 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.