Reply To: ? TEARDOWN OF SEALED ROTAX MOTORS BY TECH DIRECTOR?

Home Forums General Discussion ? TEARDOWN OF SEALED ROTAX MOTORS BY TECH DIRECTOR? Reply To: ? TEARDOWN OF SEALED ROTAX MOTORS BY TECH DIRECTOR?

hotwheels1517
Participant

Dennis,

I like the claimer motor idea I would save a lot on my motor bueprinting. Suggested retail on a comer 80 is around $750. The cost to blueprint these days $1000. I would let my son race a box stock motor for first race and just put a claim on the winning motor. It all sounds good in theory, but with this example alone you will see that doesn’t work. As for the banning of a racer for an illegal motor seems kinda harsh unless its a ported and polished motor in a stock class. Most of us racers send our motors off to be built to the rules, however there are times when a motor gets built and something is not legal. We all asssume to have a legal motor back from a builder, but that isn’t always the case. The place where I personally have seen tech taken very seriously is Stars. They check the top five after qual, pre-final and final. If you have something out of spec you may not get caught the first race but you will get caught. I am not sure what the solution is for those with a sealed motor. I will put in my own two cents though that I think a sealed motor should be subject to tech internally. I could very easily see someone that does not race RMC having a motor built specifically for CSC and having it sealed by someone that knows it won’t be teched.

Brian Moore,
father of Brandon #77 comer 80 and novice shifter

P.S. Wish I had a true solution, but also know there are mistakes made with motors that can cause a DQ personally.