Not Karting related

Home Forums General Discussion Not Karting related

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Doug Welch
    Participant

Mid life crisis. I went out and got me a toy car, a 1990 Miata. I found a French kid moving back home and he was leaving in less than a week. He had to sell and I had cash. I’ll let Mike give us the ramifications of an American screwing a french guy out of money!

At about the same time, Bob Segar came to town on his first tour in 11 years. He’s 61 so that makes me, oh never mind. Any way, we went to the show, first rock concert in,,,,, oh we won’t go there either but lets just say it was BK. Any way, the show was great as us and about 15,000 of our closest old geeser friends were there. It was funny seeing so many gray and bald heads jumping around, dancing. The kids would have bene shocked.

Now this all leads to the question, are we becoming groupies? Bob’s last show of this tour, and maybe the last show of his carear is in Detroit in March. I have tickets and am flying in for a one night stand to see the show.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Doug Welch Posted:

Now this all leads to the question, are we becoming groupies? I have tickets and am flying in for a one night stand to see the show.

Whatever you do Doug, Do NOT go out to the tour bus after the show!!! 😯

And if you can’t help yourself, just remember. What happens in Detroit, stays in Dertoit. Oh yea, maybe you should get some helmet cam! :idn:

Kirk Deason
    Participant

Doug, you guys aren’t groupies and this isn’t a midlife crisis. You just had a passion for music and concerts that was ON HOLD while you were being a sorta-responsible adult in the DK era (during kids). Now that your responsibilities are taken care of you can PROBABLY leave Greg at home without him burning the house down with 400 teenagers in attendance. Go have fun..you earned it.

That Miata might be small enought to run at IMI in a shifterkart class. I’ll get you a rainbow sticker for the bumper.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey if Gregs going to have a party with 400 people, I want to come and maybe you should stay home Doug! :cheers:

Doug Welch
    Participant

Greg has his own apartment now. He and Adrian are living downtown by Coors Field. I can leave with full confidence that he won’t trash the place. Particullarly since I changed the locks!

Mike Jansen
    Participant

@Doug Welch wrote:

I’ll let Mike give us the ramifications of an American screwing a french guy out of money!

Who do you think invented the corkscrew? 8)
    But we’re still not even

I understand your dilemma. Now with the Police back and touring it’s going to be pretty much the same thing. Only the young hotties this time will be our kids… 8)

Greg and Carrio living downtown? Young and Single? With Spring coming up? You did have “the talk: didn’t you? Or you’ll be a grandpa in now time! Can we get a webcam on their place? I’d pay to have it installed… :loony:

Doug Welch
    Participant

I can only imagine that these two punks will be trying to sneak in the LoDo bars. Actually, with Adrain’s Atlantic schedule and Greg’s race schedule, their apratment will be vacent more than full.

Mike Jansen
    Participant

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight….
    Keep thinking that way Doug…
    Neville Chamberlain said the same thing about Hitler and Germany up till September 1, 1939…
    8)

jj
    Participant

You’re building go fast racing karts, most of which likely cost a lot more than a 1990 Miata, ……… but the Miata is what has you thinking mid-life crisis???

BTW, I’ve got a 96 Miata and would love to race it around one of our karting tracks, but I think the passing lanes would be pretty tight. Not sure that there is much more HP in the Miata as compared to the new 4 stroke karts. Let me know when you decide to add the supercharger.

Seeger is good music. Let me know when you go to see the Motor City Madman though. I got a feeling Terrible Ted Nugent would be a big time Karter if anyone got him onto the track.

Anyway, I’ve seen people in their 20s ready for the wheelchair and people in their 60s in great shape and having fun.

The crisis is not having fun every day you are breathing.

From your profession and approach to things I don’t see no stinkin’ crisis!

BoulderG
    Participant

I’ve got a turbocharged 92 Miata – in the garage since November, but ready for a mid-life or any other crisis.

Did a lot of autocross, track days, and SCCA Time Trials with the Miata. Things happen five times faster in my shifter kart.

Oh, and I saw the Motor City Madman live in Rhode Island, warming up for Aerosmith. It was the Wango Tango tour – yeah, yeah – 1986.

Kurt Freiburg
    Participant

The Miatas-on-the-kart-track idea isn’t far fetched at all – I believe that Flyin’ Miatas has regularly scheduled events at Grand Junction. Right, Stacy?

I’m starting to regret selling my old beater Miata last year.

stacey cook
    Participant

Yes the Flying Miata’s have a huge event every year in August.. Miata’s come from all over country. It is a great event.. Doug you better get over here..

jj
    Participant

And I missed it last year 😥

I was out that way to get some fresh peaches but never got to GJMS.

The only problem is that I don’t have a trailer hitch to tow my Miata behind my kart.

Now I’ve got 3 reasons to get out to GJMS. Karting, Miata, and snagging a case or two of peaches in prime season.

I decided to forgo the supercharger on the Miata as partial payment for the kart. I like driving them both, but I’m glad I got the kart.

stacey cook
    Participant

We have got the best peaches in the World.. You ever need some and can’t get over let me know and we would be happy to bring them over when we come to a race….

BoulderG
    Participant

Yes – running GJMS in a Miata is ten tons of fun. I’ve never done it in a kart.

Keith at Flyin Miata has dared me to tow the kart out behind the Miata and then run both on the track…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.