Next noob question: Mychron beacons?

Home Forums General Discussion Next noob question: Mychron beacons?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Garrick Mitchell
    Participant

I’ve already had my fill of watching the snow fall this morning, so…

The kart I bought (and have yet to drive) has a Mychron 3 Plus. I got a beacon, too, but… Its condition is consistent with having flown off of the roof of someone’s car on the freeway. 🙁 The power light on the beacon comes on, which is somewhat encouraging. I’ve tried testing its function flashing the beacon past my IR sensor, but nothing happens on the gauge. Yes, I know about obscuring time, but I’d at least expect the clock to start.

Looking at the manual, all I have to do is turn the gauge on and let the sensor see the beacon to start a lap. Right???

Do any Denver-area tracks have a permanently-mounted beacon? Or is it a good bet that if anyone is out tuning, then SOMEONE has set up a beacon?

Wish I could go to IMI tonight, but EVERYONE in the house is sick at the moment. 😥

Angie MacEwen
    Participant

Garrick. There are usually beacons around on a test/tune day. Sometimes too many. You should be able to get a used on pretty inexpensive, too. We use the magnetic pickup when possible… IMI, AK, GJ have them, and I think Jim said they were going to be installing strips at The Track, too.

hope that helps a little,

Angie

ps. sorry you will miss tonight. Everything will be relayed here, though…. maybe I will bring the camera, too!

Garrick Mitchell
    Participant

That’s what I figured. Can anyone confirm, though, that after you turn the gauge on, it starts timing as soon as it sees a beacon?

@Angie MacEwen wrote:

ps. sorry you will miss tonight. Everything will be relayed here, though…. maybe I will bring the camera, too!

Thanks! 8)

Mike Frank
    Participant

Garrick,

I am not familiar with Mychron, but I know that with my Alfano, you had to have the engine running ( tach pick up registering) for the lap timer to work. Try running the engine and testing the beacon…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.