Let’s allow open jetting for Rotaxes

Home Forums General Discussion Let’s allow open jetting for Rotaxes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Joe Rosse
    Participant

http://www.ekartingnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=67601&start=15

Can we consider open jetting for Rotaxes in CSC?? :~ This restriction really does seem silly.

Rodney Ebersole
    Participant

Do you think that would help you figure out the legal jetting when the Tag World Championships come to town?
    Why stop there what about open air box/filter and open radiator, heck all the rules seem silly until you have no rules.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I thought under TAG rules you could change the rotax jetting? Can’t you even run a smaller carb or something along those lines?

Cody

Rodney Ebersole
    Participant

Jack, From my understanding TAG USA rules with a Rotax follows hand and hand to the RMAX Challenge rules. At least it did last year in the tech tent at the Worlds event and the Vegas SKUSA Tag event. I do think several Orgs. such as WKA TAG does allow for radiator changes, open jetting and air boxes. I also think CSC allowed open jetting two years ago not sure about last year as I was a Legal Mojo Rotaxion running with Tags. I am sad to see that was deleted for this year, D2 tires would have been fun to see in the mix.

Doug Welch
    Participant

We run our Rotaxs per RMax rules in Tag. I’ve tried all the other jetting stuff but keep coming back to standard Rotax. It would be nice to be able to run a different radiator when the temp gets stupid high around here.

Rick Schmidt
    Participant

No Cody,

I spoke to Marty Casey at the beginning of the season last year to get the scoop on the Rlv airbox. Tag Usa had stated was legal in the rule book. (kind of a gray wording) We wanted to use our Rotax for Tag as well as Rmax He told me then that, they went back to “all Rmax” during the 2006 season and did not allow for open jet train as before. We were running the Motori at that point but, I know most Rotax in this region were running 45 slides, different idle jets, needles etc… Some were even changing the emulsion tube and running an Icc style slide. Not knowing it was illegal. As you well know, even just a needle change really helps the bottom end of those motors. But they all have to be 34mm.

At tracks like Imi, it does not need it, other tracks may benefit from these changes to a significant degree. (Bandi / temp circuits?) You see racers who normall run Rotax showing up with their Leopards or whatever. Seems Rotax would want the motor to be competitive in Tag as well as Rmax? Not everyone is going to run Rmax, we bought our first one to run in Tag and never ran Rmax till it was here in Colorado. If it comes to Colorado again, we might consider doing it again.Cool thing about Rmax is every bodies on the same stuff.The Tag can be quite a quagmire.

Of course moving the radiator would be great and a cost savings overall. Keep that high dollar Rotax radiator for the Rmax stuff.

Whew

Spec Moto?

Rick

Anonymous
    Inactive

Seems Rotax would want the motor to be competitive in Tag as well as Rmax?

Exactly. I know two (maybe three?) years ago you could change the rad, airbox, and jetting. A kid named Wyatt Lloyd ran a bigger radiator, with a freeline (ICC) airbox and out-qualified Kyle Ray in TAG Senior at GJ. He picked up 1 full second from the stock setup. It was probably the only time Kyle was out-qualified all year. The bottom end on the rotax just doesn’t have anything for the leopard, motori, etc. (When its stock). It does save money by keeping it stock, but it also makes it too slow (on SOME tracks) to be a frontrunner. I guess you can’t make everyone happy, that’s why TAG is liked by some and hated by others.

Cody

Greg Welch
    Participant

Actually, in that year that Wyatt had pole at Junction, I had pole at IMI one of the times, Seth Chapa in a Rotax had it the other. Seth also had the pole at Junction the second time. A rotax had the pole at every track except Bandimere.

Doug Welch
    Participant

Cody

The year Wyatt had pole, Greg was off pole only a few thousands back and we were running full RMax, jetting , air box and all. Bottom line, contrary to what is being posted on ekarting, the Rotax is competitive in RMax trim.

Rodney Ebersole
    Participant

Yep, now it looks like it’s getting changed in TAG USA again. I can see where we don’t have the trouble as we are blessed with nice larger kart tracks which is more rotax friendly. I can see where a lot of short sprint tracks a no bog set up would be better for a rotaxian in Tag events.

Angel Ramirez
    Participant

jetting is open if you only use dellorto parts on the carb and no polishing or venturi changes are allowed. check the tread on e karting news.

Rick Schmidt
    Participant

From Ekn;

Richard Gray

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:56 am Post subject:

Marty – So carb changes to the removable jetting is now legal as long as one stays with Dellorto orignal parts?

marty casey

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:56 am Post subject: rotax

Richard,
    Yes!! parts must be Dellortto parts, again no maching,polishing, ETC.

The web guy needed his sleep also so it will get up soon.

Marty Casey
    TAGUSA

Looks like we are not running Bandimere this year. But if there is a temp race or you’re running at Bandi, it will help the Rotax’s.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Man, The Welch family sure was blessed with good memory. I just know something happened with someone sometime! 😆

That definitely is a good thing about Colorado tracks however. Rotax’s are definitely as good if not better than any other TAG motor at GJ, The Track, and certainly IMI. That just makes for better racing and lower costs for many folks who want to participate in club and rotax max points.

What’s Seth Chapa’s deal? Why doesn’t he race CSC events anymore? I know he was very good when he raced, and he still does well when he races (RMax Nats)!

Cody

Rick Schmidt
    Participant

Cody,

I think Seth had to have some change in interests at this point in his life. He has a job and is taking a swing at life right now. They (his Dad Tim and him) tried to make it in the karting biz, it’s tough and they couldn’t keep the doors open. They are both recovering from this adventure to say the least. Seth is a great kid and a very formidable competitor for sure.

Tim had a recent heart attack and is recovering now. God speed Tim!

Sometimes racing seems pretty small in the grand scheme of things, but I can tell you, if they had the resources to race, they would strike fear in the competition sitting on the grid next to them. They brought down some very well funded and experienced teams.

They gave it a good shot and couldn’t survive.

At least they took a stab at it. Better to make a decision that to make non at all. If you make non at all, you’ve still made a choice! (some old rock and roll song I’m sure)

They’ll be back.

The Welches are blessed with Mylaps and two fast kids Cody!

Rick

Tony LaPorta
    Participant

Rick,
    I second your comments about Tim, just talked to him tonight and he sounds good.
    He’s a great guy and great Tuner, Seth is awesome to. Lots of help from them both this past year.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.