Jr. II Weight Rule

Home Forums General Discussion Jr. II Weight Rule

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    MHPS Racing
    Participant

Potential Weight Rule for Jr. II

IMI/The Track club series….

Mike Edwards
    Participant

Guy’s………Having run both classes in the past, at 265# the Jr-2’s were 3-4 seconds a lap slower than the Jr-1 with the same motor package. Sydney got bored real fast running the Jr-2 so for those that are moving up from Jr-1 be careful what you ask for. I hope your able to upgrade the motors to offset the additional weight.

Just more useless info
    Mikey

Les Prins
    Participant

If we go with 285 or especially 310, the easiest bump in power would be to go to methanol. $40 jet kit and you do not have to open the motor and replace parts.

Mike, I agree that the kids would be slower than last year’s Jr1 animal but they still may be as fast or faster than this years Honda if they use the engine package and spec gear they were taking about.

This is one of the reasons I think that age group would be ready for a world formula motor. I may bolt on my WF to Tyler’s kart and let him see the difference. (Rev limiter connected). 4 cycle Briggs TAG!

Les Prins
    Participant

Looks like the poll has died down. No matter what the weight is, I think that we should think seriously about giving this age group a little bump in power or they will not want to stick with it. We need to make it fun for them and usually faster than last year is more fun. JMO

MHPS Racing
    Participant

@lprins wrote:

Looks like the poll has died down. No matter what the weight is, I think that we should think seriously about giving this age group a little bump in power or they will not want to stick with it. We need to make it fun for them and usually faster than last year is more fun. JMO

What do you have in mind Les?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I do not have a dog in this fight any longer, but 285lbs and I would suggest WF on gas (15hp) or perhaps alky Animal, but WF has electric start…..

Les Prins
    Participant

Methanol. We have had Dads here say that in the past, the JR2 class did not survive because of the weight increase and no change in the motor which meanes slower than Jr1. I believe the least expensive way and easiest to get more power is get a methanol jet kit. I ran methanol in a stock animal last year for fun and I was at 330 lbs but still could keep up with Tyler.

What does everyone else think? I really want this class to be fun and keep going. Remember, this same age group can run TAG Jr. and they are alot faster.

Les Prins
    Participant

Don, I have an animal with a starter on it. I am using a PVL ign. system which has the starter ring gear. I bought the starter on ebay for 20 bucks and had to get a blower cover anyway so bought the WF cover. The Animal block had the bolt holes and you need to knock out a section where the starter is mounted. Tyler loves it.

I agree that we should think about the WF on gas as a long term thing but we have less than 2 weeks to get this going. Maybe methanol for now and WF next year?

MHPS Racing
    Participant

@lprins wrote:

Methanol. We have had Dads here say that in the past, the JR2 class did not survive because of the weight increase and no change in the motor which meanes slower than Jr1. I believe the least expensive way and easiest to get more power is get a methanol jet kit. I ran methanol in a stock animal last year for fun and I was at 330 lbs but still could keep up with Tyler.

What does everyone else think? I really want this class to be fun and keep going. Remember, this same age group can run TAG Jr. and they are alot faster.

I agree, an alky motor will pick things up a bit, especially at 265 lbs. When the Animal first came out we ran them on methanol and did well.
    The drivers have the voice… :direct

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t have a kid in the class any more but when my oldest son was 12 he did some testing with my methonal animal at IMI. This is the same configuration that Les is proposing. It’s cheap and easy horsepower.

(For some insane reason my son only liked driving but not racing… were did I go wrong???)

Anyway, I was looking at my notes and on his 3rd track day he was doing low 1:04s clockwise at IMI in June on Dunlop SL4 hard tires and weighed 270lb. Considering the kart and motor time, I figured with more track time his time would be in the 1:02 range. With a newer kart drop another second off that estimate. With the new PVL ign and softer mg tires drop maybe another second. I think you could set the weight at 285 and run JrI times plus it would cover a larger range of driver size.

Les Prins
    Participant

The average 15 year old is ~ 125 lbs, Tyler’s full size kart with engine and fiberglass bodywork was ~ 160 lbs . That equals 285. Our new bodywork is lighter so it should be less.

Changing to methanol is fairly easy if you have tuned the animal carb before. 2 jets, main jet needle and main jet nozzle. All included in the methanol jet kit. There is a guide on the briggs web site for a baseline on jetting the carb for methanol. http://www.briggsracing.com/display/router.asp?Docid=101413

Any objections to:
    minimum weight: 285 lbs
    fuel: methanol
    Any size rear tire
    Any gear?

The rest of the rules have been established. Lets run with it and see what happens! 11 days till the first race!

Anonymous
    Inactive

“11 days till the first race!”

It’s decision time, no more discussions. Otherwise we wait to make changes for the next race. ❗

I’m not against your proposal Les, but we have to know TODAY!
    I’m ready to just run what I have from last year with the added weight
    and see who shows. :idn:

Les Prins
    Participant

Lets run gas our first race then make a decision.
    265 or 285, what was your vote?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Les Prins
    Participant

Russ, Here is my take: As much as I would like to run at 265, that may keep a new 14-15 yr old karter from trying the class. 310 is just too heavy for a 12 year old if they run a cadet chassis, they may have to bolt on 80 to 90 lbs. the seat would be encased in lead. 285 is a middle of the road weight. There were 2 votes for 285, would you be OK with that?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.