Getting back in the saddle

Home Forums General Discussion Getting back in the saddle

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello all. I’m looking at getting back into karting after a long hiatus from both cars and karts. I stopped in 1999 to focus on college (that was dumb) and now have the racing void in me.

A few Q’s…
    -If I wanted to get into the shifter class, what sort of licensing requirements are there in CO?
    -Are there specific circuits around the state, or do the tracks just hold their own races?
    -Pricing-wise, what should I expect in that class, as well as typical entry fees?
    -Where’s the best place to rent karts, ie: start getting the feel back?

Thanks all and I look forward to getting back into the swing of things.
    -JR

Jeff Welch
    Participant

Hey JR, here’s short answers to your questions.

@jrcart wrote:

-If I wanted to get into the shifter class, what sort of licensing requirements are there in CO?

There are no licensing requirements for any classes in CO. As far as shifters go, you have two main choices – ICC or stock moto. Between the two, I strongly recommend the stock moto class. The engines are much more reliable, nearly as fast, and the class is growing very quickly. Arguably, the best talent is in the stock moto class as well.

@jrcart wrote:

-Are there specific circuits around the state, or do the tracks just hold their own races?

We basically have two programs. First, most of the tracks have a club series unique to each track (the exception is Bandimere). Then we have the Colorado Sprint Championship (CSC) which travels to 3 of the 5 tracks in Colorado.

@jrcart wrote:

-Pricing-wise, what should I expect in that class, as well as typical entry fees?

You’re looking at around $9500 for a brand new stock moto package, plus your spares, driving gear, etc. I don’t know offhand what the entry fees are, but there was another thread on that topic recently if you look around for it.

@jrcart wrote:

-Where’s the best place to rent karts, ie: start getting the feel back?

IMI, Bandimere, The Track, and Grand Junction all have rentals, so it’s pretty much your call. CRE might have them as well, but I’m not positive.

Hope this is helpful, and please feel free to give us a call at the shop (we are a manufacturer of karts and components) if you have any questions!
    Shockwave Karting 303-781-7829

Rick Schmidt
    Participant

Hey Jr,

Welcome. There is a lot of help avaible here on the forum. Just ask.

What were you running when you got out?

I would reccomend going out to the track and talking to racers, speaking to the shops and really get that fire burning in you again. It’s a blast!

Rick

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the replies…

I was racing Barber Dodge and 2-Cycle Karts in Florida and Eastern US. I had an Atlantic ride lined up with Forsythe back in CART’s hay-day, but opted for CSU (my only regret thus far in life). Thought I’d be able to do both… but just never worked out and racing sort of went by the wayside. I was looking at getting back into racing via marketing (my current profession) but after doing a few things for a team in Dallas I realized I’d rather be on the track than just near it…

Because I’m starting from scratch, $10K may be a bit out of the price range at the moment. I’m assuming there’s probably some used chassis’ out there for the time being… guess I’ll just peruse the classifieds.

Ya, I’ll probably start hitting up the tracks. I actually work right next to “The Track” so that one would be an easy visit.

Thanks again for the replies!
    -JR

Jeff Welch
    Participant

@jrcart wrote:

Because I’m starting from scratch, $10K may be a bit out of the price range at the moment. I’m assuming there’s probably some used chassis’ out there for the time being… guess I’ll just peruse the classifieds.

Used stock moto engine packages are somewhat hard to come by since the class is growing. Used ICC or built moto engines can be had pretty cheap… mainly because the class is shrinking due to the maintenance costs of these engines. Used chassis are certainly out there though at decent prices.

Rick Schmidt
    Participant

JR,

I think Jeff was giving you a rough cost assessment based on all the support gear you’ll need to go with your program, including a new kart.

If you’ve been racing Barber, a shifter may be more stimulating for you. There are deals out there (used) if you shop it. The Spec Moto is a sought after package right now and not a lot of deep deals with it’s low operating cost and great performance. You can however buy other packages that are great fun and can fit your budget. Tag (touch and go) is a very popular class that runs 125cc 2 stroke or 250cc 4 stroke, dry clutch on the kart, and there are some good buys out there. A step up is the Tag 4 Stroke, more initial cost, horsepower and in the long haul, less operating cost. Talk to people before you dive in. You can rent Tag karts, not sure about shifters, but if you have that kind of open wheel experience under your belt, I’m sure someone would be willing to flop you in a shifter to get a feel for it. I will have a spanking new, custom painted, Spec Moto package finished in a few weeks. If you can demonstrate reasonable abilities in a Tag for me, hell I’ll cut you loose in it. You’ll wear out well before the kart does. You could put together a Spec Moto kart for around $5500 – $6000 if you shopped it and were frugal (with used gear) that would be somewhat competitive. Possibly even new. Talk to Brad or Bobby @ Imi 303-286-1676, Aj @ Kartworks 303-587-4656, Doug, Jeff or Greg @ Shockwave 303-781-7829, Barrry @ Billet 303-841-4855 or any of the other advertisers here on the website and pick their brains.

Jeff and his family own a kart racing shop and manufacturing plant and rightfully have an obligation to get you accurate information. Which includes, not painting an overly optimistic picture for the new racer. The cost of the support gear is equally as important and adds up. Jeff will give it to you like it is. Another reason to go visit with racers in addition to the shops. Ask them what it takes to run their machines. Some will race at the club level and some may race at the regional or national levels. Ask them what it takes, what they ran into that wasn’t planned for. Just to reinforce what you hear from Jeff and the other shop owners. Look through their tool boxes and see what they carry to support their effort. If your running at the club level, you may run the same axle till it gets damaged, a good regional guy may try 3-5 axles in a weekend and so on.

The cost are higher than it was a decade ago for sure. Technology, time and euro exchange rate have escalated cost in this sport for sure. But, bang for the buck? Still pretty good if you ask me.

Good thing about karting is; you can show up with a semi, or show up with your kart on top of your station wagon, either way, it’s a kick in the a$$! As you know. Just feel your way around and figure out a way to come out and have some fun.

My cell is 303-886-4190
    Rick

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for all the great info. Considering I have my helmet, gloves and shoes and that’s bout it I expected the costs to be high. In addition to equipment I’m pondering a storage unit (still a city-dweller) so I’ll have to account for that too. Agreed though that I think most of 2008 will be spent information gathering and testing chassis’ and classes. Thanks again for all the info!
    -JR

Greg Welch
    Participant

Another class option to look into is the rapidly growing DD2 (Direct Drive 2-speed) class. The engine is a Rotax DD2. What this motor is, is a high power version of the Rotax TaG engine with a 2 speed gear box added and also a direct drive system which uses no chain. They are competitive with the TaG 4-cycle engines, however the only on-track test against these karts was when the DD2s ran hard tires, they most likely will be quite a bit faster when on the same tire.

+’s
    Rotax engine are the ONLY engine in karting that come with a warranty. The warranty is for one year.
    These engines get very similar life to a TaG motor, which is 40-45 on a top end, 50-55 on a bottom.
    No chain means a lot less maintenance. The biggest consumable on a kart is the chain, TaGs go through one every 3-4 days at the track, shifters every 5-6.
    They run within 0.5-1 second of a stock moto shifter on the track, they are fast.
    You have more options for racing around the country in a DD2 then you do in a stock moto, however both have more options than any normal karter will ever use.
    In state they race in club, RMAX (Rotax Max Challenge), and CSC
    They are a sealed engine package, only certified service centers around the country can work on the engines, this keeps competition very close as engines are all equal.

-‘s
    The class in Colorado is new to the CSC this year, so number of competitors is up in the air, however we have sold a good number of them this year.
    Rotax parts are expensive, you have to replace them a lot less then other engines, but the parts are expensive when you do have to replace something.
    They are a sealed engine package, some guys like to do the maintenance themselves.

Like Jeff said, call us at the shop with any questions.

Jeff Field
    Participant

You’ve got some seriously smart guys in here dishing up good advice. I think you’ll be pretty excited to get involved when you see for yourself how cool the community is around here. Stock honda and DD2 would both be good fun for the reasons already mentioned.

I recently put together a stock moto package for pretty darn cheap(~4g) with good used components. It’s not nice and shiny like Rick’s new machine, but if you fit my medium seat, my kart is another candidate for a demo. I’m sure there will be plenty of early season testing that you can come out to and gather some knowledge.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.