Chassis Powder Coating: Are You?

Home Forums General Discussion Chassis Powder Coating: Are You?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Guys:

Anybody thinking of having their chassis powder coated should call me. I found prices from $125 to $350. If we have multiple chassis I might be able to drive the price down further.

It’s called bulk buying Power!

Best price found: $125-150; <5 day turn-around

send me a message if interested.

Ben Schermerhorn
    Participant

I wonder if that could effect the flex of the chassis.

Tom Dennin
    Participant

No

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ben,

I don’t think so because my CRG chassis came new powder coated. I called SSC to confirm it.

Ben_ how did you like that DVD about understeer?

Ben Schermerhorn
    Participant

:peace What DVD? are u talking about the Oversteer one?

Anonymous
    Inactive

yes

Ben Schermerhorn
    Participant

Its pretty cool, it’s not the longest, and the music is kinda funky. But it is kart racing so its a pretty good video.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ben,

Is it a good learning tool

rich

RBI
    Participant

FYI<,We have found that regardless of the manufacturer if you have your chassis blasted and re-powdercoated it tends to make the tubing more brittle.We have had a ton of them break only after re-coating them. I don’t know what it is but it happens all the time.Richard BuxmanPs. We had 2 brand new First Karts re-coated to see what the color looked like before our initial shipment and both chassis snapped. One was a shifter and one was a tag.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can someone else substantiate what Richard has said above.

That just seems unusual. I had one of my chassis recoated several yrs ago and nothing happened.

Tom Dennin
    Participant

I would bet that the sand blasting was done either to long, at to high of a pressure or with the wrong media. I would guess it is some combination of the three.

The process of powder coating actually is so quick and the temperatures are not high enough to damage the material characteristics of the Chromoly tubing.

Rodney Ebersole
    Participant

I think it is odd. I would about think the oppisite would be true, as the baking of a chassis should about be part of finishing process of the welds which would envolve normalizing the entire chassis with heat. I don’t know. That said though a non normalized weld really should be more brittel. I wonder if manufacturers even go to the trouble of normalization? If they do whats the recipe and compaired to that whats the temp range used when baking powder coating? I have always thought it was around 400′ F.
    I really dought it is the effects of heat from the blasting it’s self unless it’s blasted for extended periods of time with huge PSI.

Brad Linkus
    Participant

Must be a problem with First Karts or RBI’s, we have blasted and powder coated many frames of different brands over the years and never had one crack.

Kurt Freiburg
    Participant

My mechanical engineer’s 2 cents agrees with Dr. Tom (and Dr. Freeze). Yes, the blasting process does scratch up the surface and make it more prone to cracks, but it was probably blasted or sanded at the factory in the first place. We’re talking about fairly mild alloys which aren’t stretched to their limits (no need to, the weight minimums for karts are fairly high). So I’m not sure why the 2nd time around would weaken the frame any more. I’d be more worried about the track grinding marks from off-road explorations.

But on the other hand, Richie has the experience.

This would be a great discussion for a wider audience, like ekn. Rich, will you do the honors?

Tom Dennin
    Participant

Thought this might be of interest. I took this from a website called finish.com:

What is powder coating?

Powder coating is by far the youngest of the surface finishing techniques in common use today. It was first used in Australia about 1967.

Powder coating is the technique of applying dry paint to a part. The final cured coating is the same as a 2-pack wet paint. In normal wet painting such as house paints, the solids are in suspension in a liquid carrier, which must evaporate before the solid paint coating is produced.

In powder coating, the powdered paint may be applied by either of two techniques.

The item is lowered into a fluidised bed of the powder, which may or may not be electrostatically charged, or
    The powdered paint is electrostatically charged and sprayed onto the part.
    The part is then placed in an oven and the powder particles melt and coalesce to form a continuous film.

There are two main types of powder available to the surface finisher:

Thermoplastic powders that will remelt when heated, and
    Thermosetting powders that will not remelt upon reheating. During the curing process (in the oven) a chemical cross-linking reaction is triggered at the curing temperature and it is this chemical reaction which gives the powder coating many of its desirable properties.

Preparation

The basis of any good coating is preparation. The vast majority of powder coating failures can be traced to a lack of a suitable preparation.

The preparation treatment is different for different materials.

How is it done — electrostatic spray?

The powder is applied with an electrostatic spray gun to a part that is at earth (or ground) potential.

Before the powder is sent to the gun it is fluidised:

to separate the individual grains of powder and so improve the electrostatic charge that can be applied to the powder and
    so that the powder flows more easily to the gun.
    Because the powder particles are electrostatically charged, the powder wraps around to the back of the part as it passes by towards the air offtake system. By collecting the powder, which passes by the job, and filtering it, the efficiency of the process can be increased to 95% material usage.

The powder will remain attached to the part as long as some of the electrostatic charge remains on the powder. To obtain the final solid, tough, abrasion resistant coating the powder coated items are placed in an oven and heated to temperatures that range from 160 to 210 degrees C (depending on the powder).

Under the influence of heat a thermosetting powder goes through 4 stages to full cure.

MELT, FLOW, GEL, CURE

The final coating is continuous and will vary from high gloss to flat matt depending on the design of the powder by the supplier.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.