Angie, you need to fix your forum software

Home Forums General Discussion Angie, you need to fix your forum software

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brad Linkus
    Participant

This forum seems to be missing some files or they are corrupted by errors. Many links do not work and sometimes you can post a reply and then in a few minutes nothing works. You have to try posting 10 times before one goes through and then only sometimes. What happened to your site?

Angie MacEwen
    Participant

Brad, I know there are problems, and I am working on them. I am sorry, I thought that I had made it clear that there were issues I am working on. I am not going to go into detail as to what the problems are, but it means editing many files one by one. Oh yeah, I have a job, too, now… and a family, and year end stuff to attend to. I am very sorry you are inconvenienced by this issue, maybe if I had a few large donations coming in, staying up til midnight to fix the problems wouldn’t be as hard to do!! Seriously, I know it is frustrating for everyone, and I am working on it daily to get the problem fixed.

Doug Welch
    Participant

Angie

You do a great job and I for one am greatfull our community has some one like you to give us a place. I can’t thank you enough.

Angie MacEwen
    Participant

Thank you. I do know it is appreciated. Of course, it is always nice to hear!

I think I found the problem, but in the solution, I deleted that wonderful four page CSC thread!! I have the posts, just can’t get them to show. Ugh! I am copying them into a document, and will have to do it that way.

Anyway, if anyone does have trouble with the forum, please email me at [email protected].

Thanks!
    Angie

Sheldon Potter
    Participant

Speaking as a propeller head who’s been both a software developer in a past life, and in the Web biz for nearly 10 years, I can attest to the difficulty of keeping stuff like this working properly.

Yup, I’ve had problems here and there too, such as posting replies and getting naughty, uncooperative links, etc. But, OTOH, especially as a karting rookie in the area, I find this forum to be just fantastic, and absolutely invaluable.

I hope folks will remember that this thing is a big complex piece of software, with many moving parts, running on a computer itself with many moving parts, so to speak, that we talk to over a very complex network. In my 20 or so years around these infernal machines I’m still amazed this stuff works at all!

And, in that time I’ve never met one that DIDN’T have the occasional issue, some of which are very difficult to debug (often infuriatingly so, and I can attest to the fact that it’s not an infrequent occurance that the debugging process can eat up *enormous amounts of time).

I understand Angie does this all for free. FWIW, in my book, I don’t think we could ask for more.

Cheers — Sheldon Potter

Les Prins
    Participant

Not only is the code complex, there are 2 components of the total package that are not in your control if you have a web hosting service, the code processor and the database. If either are updated, you may have problems with compatibility and things start breaking. In dealing with hardware and software for almost 20 years, I too know first hand how hard it can be to keep up with all the pieces of the puzzle.

Way to go Angie, keep up the good work! I would say that with the season over, we all could be patient and let you fix it right and not hurry to “band aid” these problems.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.