Reply To: ? TEARDOWN OF SEALED ROTAX MOTORS BY TECH DIRECTOR?

Home Forums General Discussion ? TEARDOWN OF SEALED ROTAX MOTORS BY TECH DIRECTOR? Reply To: ? TEARDOWN OF SEALED ROTAX MOTORS BY TECH DIRECTOR?

Doug Welch
Participant

Richard

I have always put the sealed Bilands in with the sealed Rotaxes and the sealed Easykarts. None of the sealed engines should be torn down on the local/regional level except in very unsual cricumstances and the protester should be willing to pay the costs to get the engine re-sealed. To do otherwise is penalizing the driver for being good and that’s a crock.

Your comment about Rotaxs getting tossed while valid, makes it look like they are getting tossed for internal engine violations. On the contray, there have been very few (none that I’m aware of) for internal modifications for which there have been dq’s. There have been many for things like fuel filter location, air box dislocations, non-Rotax fasteners, side pod violations and other non-performance related items. There was a rash of squish violations, mostly due to running too close to spec and carbon buildups putting the engines out and all of them in junior ranks. This violation is be found without tearing the engine apart. In fact, it can’t be found by tearing the engine apart.

You are right about one thing, we do not give the driver and set-up enough credit. At the Red Bull driver search this past week, they used exactly the same kart/engine package and a kid named Alex Speed to drive the karts and guys like Mike Speed and Kimball Williams to set up the karts. With young Mr Speed driving, they had all the karts within just a few tenths. Yet when the driver search kids got in them, they varied 6 seconds!

This year we have torn down many engines under protest and not a single one was found out of spec. What does that tell us? To my knowledge, all the dq’s in this year’s CSC were found without tearing the engines apart. It time to stop this foolishness and start learning how to drive and setup the kart.

Its time to start giving the drivers a little credit for being good.