Tire / Wheel Balancing

Home Forums New to Karting Tire / Wheel Balancing

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Garrick Mitchell
    Participant

As I was loading up the kart yesterday, I found a split in one of my (well-worn) front tires. Not liking seeing cords peeking out, I changed the tire, but I ended up with a nice vibration in the front end that, I’m sure, was an out-of-balance wheel.

At that point, I recalled Craig Mansfield telling me to make sure the diagonal “seam” on the inside of the tire lined up opposite the valve stem. I know I didn’t do that yesterday, and that was the first time I felt like I had a wheel out of balance.

The question is, is putting the seam opposite the valve stem typically enough to balance MG Yellows? Do people actually balance their wheels and put on wheel weights? I understand the dynamic argument against having a wheel out of balance; I’m just trying to figure out if I’ve just been lucky mounting tires. :loony:

Rodney Ebersole
    Participant

Garrick, I try to save my luck for things that are beyond what I can prepare for. Small 1/4oz. stick on weights work well with a little duct tape applied over them. Bolt your rear wheels to a front hub and install on your front spindle then level the spindle.
    Tap your king pin bolt or frame with a hammer till the heavy side of the tire rotates to the bottom. Place a weight @ 10 and 2 o’clock, then rotate a quarter turn and tap it again to see if your lucky. Then repeat with your fronts. Tapping is a little quicker than waiting for a free wheeling tire and wheel to stop spinning. Generally the thick rubber and valve stem is the imbalance and couple weights will cure it used on the stem side of the wheel.
    Craig is moving back to Denver soon 😀

Mike Jansen
    Participant

@Rodney Ebersole wrote:

Craig is moving back to Denver soon 😀

I didn’t know he liked hanging around me THAT much… 8)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.