TAG vs ROTAX vs Sonik? Lots of questions

Home Forums General Discussion TAG vs ROTAX vs Sonik? Lots of questions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey guys. New to the board, and I have a lot of questions about the TAG/ROTAX classes. I’ve talked to a lot of people saying pros and cons for both. I had the opportunity to drive/race a Birel 125cc rotax at IMI, and came away very impressed. I loved the chassis and how you could finesse the kart around a lot of the fast sweepers up there (and over the fun hill). How does this chassis compare to the parilla, etc? Obviously the rotax has more torque because of the powervalve (cousins are die hard Bombardier/ski-doo guys, so im familiar). Who makes the Tag/parilla motor. Pro/cons? Is it normal to want more power up at IMI when you race one of these? Even though it was my first time in one, in about 20 laps I wanted more power down the straights and in a few corners. The reason I ask is that Im also considering doing a shifter to maybe practice on, then sell/trade up for a TAG/ROTAX so i can be competitive without lots of cash. Thanks for your help! Karting kicks ass. :sun:

Curt Kistler
    Participant

Karts are like golf clubs, cigars and women. What is good for one, may be bad for others. Come out to Bandi this Sunday and take notes on all the classes, people in the classes, motors, chassis and lap times. Drivers like Kyle Ray in Pro 125 can strap a 2X4 onto a lawn mower engine and cover half the field. So be careful to what you are looking at. There are some teams with all the hottest equipment that may be having a bad day also.
    Your best bet is to drive as many different chassis’ as possible and make the decision that best suits your needs and objectives.

Hope to see you at one of our CSC races.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, I definately will try and be out there!

Jeff Welch
    Participant

Ditto what Curt said. The best way to figure out what you want to do is come out to the track and talk with the people in the various classes and see what they think. Feel free to stop by and talk with us at the Shockwave trailer.

Anonymous
    Inactive

When is the next race? As far as operating costs between a centri-clutch ROTAX/TAG and a shifter 125, how do they compare? Ive heard you want about $2500-3000 for the TAG/ROTAX for a season w/tires, etc. I figure a shifter would be about twice that. That a good estimate? :idn:

Anonymous
    Inactive

thats a somewhat fair estimate, streets. i am in sorta the same situation as you… moving from Michigan w/ my 100cc yamaha to here where there is no local class, and I am looking at TaG vs shifter to race the rest of the year. what i have heard from the shifter guys I speak with is it is really tough to be competitive and place with a bare stock shifter engine. some of the swedetech modifieds are 5 grand themselves, where you can get a top of the line chassis and rotax for about the same price. plus, most of the TaG engines claim to get 40-60 hours out of them before a rebuild… guys who want to keep competitive in shifter rebuild after every other race! im leaning towards TaG just because of the costs involved. heck, i stopped road racing BMWs for the same reason.

as far as the lack of power with the TaGs, i hear you too, but remember everyone else in the field is equally matched, and it really brings out the true racer in you when its skill vs skill, not engine vs engine. nothing more disappointing than driving a great lap and getting passed in the straights by some hot head who just poured cash into his engine. just my 2 cents…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.