TAG airboxes for CSC

Home Forums General Discussion TAG airboxes for CSC

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

CSC follows TAG USA/SKUSA rules. SKUSA have specifically stated that the new style 2004 homologated airboxes cannot be used for TAG.

Effective Immediately: 06/10/04
    Regarding the new CIK-FIA air box:
    The new air box is approved for SKUSA in ICC only, This is also an option and is not mandatory, either old style or the new box is allowed. Regarding the TAG SKUSA classes the new air box is not approved for TAG in any classes, all other CIK air boxes are allowed again without any modifications to the box or inlet tubes.Tubes are not to exceed 22.0mm inside Dia. and not to exceed 95.0mm minimum length.

TAG USA rules state

2.1. AIR BOX – OEM, as supplied with the engine from the manufacturer. Or, CIK approved airbox with two 22mm intakes maximum

I am not 100% sure but I believe the 100cc version of the KG airbox has 22mm tubes (maybe someone has acess to the CIK homologation documents?)

If this is the case I hope CSC will allow the new airboxes ??

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good question. Glad I saw this come up before I bought a new style airbox.

I’d like to hear the ruling from the CSC on this. I’m in need of a new airbox for my Rotax and planned on going to a CIK box instead of the dust sucker Rotax box.

Ben Schermerhorn
    Participant

Anyone know?

Marc Elliott
    Participant

the new boxes i belive are not 22mm, if so that DQ’s them from TaG competition, they are already illegal for skusa, so likely they will not be legal out here, hope not becuase they are actually thoughtout, and will help keep the motor dust free

Doug Welch
    Participant

The ’04 boxes for ICA (or Tag) use 23mm tubes. They are very expensive and yes, they do have a filter. The problem with making them legal is that they are not readily available. I have trying to get them and the only source that seems to have them now is Italian Motors in Canada and they think very highly of them. It will be several weeks before they are more available. We should hold off legalizing them until everyone who wants one can get one.

They would be an advantage over the current boxes OEM boxes.

Tom Dennin
    Participant

Doug,

I read your statement as saying they are going to be legal before this season is over. Is that true or false?

If so, then is Italian Motors out of Canada the only place to get one? How much do they want for one?

Thanks,
    Tom

Anonymous
    Inactive

According to italian motors, the ICA holes are 22mm. I’ve also heard the 22mm figure on ekartingnews (then again, who knows the truth).

http://www.italianmotors.com/news_info/?pg=product_of_the_month

Anonymous
    Inactive

If the TAG class was designed as an affordable way to get some of the speed of the shifters without selling the farm. Then why are we considering allowing expensive aftermarket air boxes. Where does it stop? Hot ignitions? Aftermarket carbs? Performance pipes? Lets keep it simple and straight forward. If you want to tinker with a package buy a shifter! Don’t turn Tag into a bottomless hole of $ upgrades just to keep up with the Jones.

Ben Schermerhorn
    Participant

:idn:

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Spencer wrote:

Good question. Glad I saw this come up before I bought a new style airbox.

I’d like to hear the ruling from the CSC on this. I’m in need of a new airbox for my Rotax and planned on going to a CIK box instead of the dust sucker Rotax box.

Spencer,
    Don’t bother with a different airbox for the rotax. I tried to get the CIK to work and wasn’t able to. The motor ran like crazy at low and mid RPM but would run out of fuel on top. I would save the $30 you’ll spend on the CIK box and get yourself some other carb parts to play with.

Doug Welch
    Participant

I have one of the “04 air boxes for our shifter. It has 30mm tubes and I paid $120 for it. It was hand delivered to me at Salt Lake. They had more but I was quoted $150 over the phone for it. I have looked fo rhte Freeline version and have been unable to find that one in stock any where. I was told by MRP that it would be at least a month before they would have more.

I can certainly understand why a racer would want to put one one. The KG air box has a very good filter in it, much like a K&N. Its a flat panel and it will do a very good job of keeping the dirt and rocks out. I have not seen the FreeLine box yet but I have been told the filter in it is not quite as sgood as the KG. I have been quoted $73 to $83 for the FreeLine box. Since our tracks out here tend to have a great deal of airborn dust, I am inclinded to let racers run them in all classes that require airboxs. If they let you get a couple of extra hours out of your top end or prevent the loss of a motor due to sucking rocks, they are well worth the money to put them on.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Then why are we considering allowing expensive aftermarket air boxes.

Filters filters filters!!!! if $150 dollar airbox stops dust from getting iside the motor I am sure the saving way exeeds the cost in a very short period of time!

Has anyone tried RLV for a source?

Bruce Boman
    Participant

Doug,

At least you got a better answer from MRP, they told me earlier in the year the new Free Line Suction Silencer was postponed till next year.

http://www.birel.it/uk_news.asp

B…..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.