SuperNats Comments… From someone who grew up in Vegas

Home Forums General Discussion SuperNats Comments… From someone who grew up in Vegas

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mike Jansen
    Participant

Ladies and Gentlemen:

For those of you that are going to the SuperNats (unfortunately I can’t :bang ) I am going to give you some comments you might want to consider…

#1) you are racing at the UNLV Football stadium. It is 10 miles away from the strip give or take. Actually it is closer Green Valley and Henderson versus the strip. It is near the Vegas Wash that emptys into Lake Mead
    #2) If you want to stay at the Excalibur, go for it. After you get done practicing, tuning, and racing every day the last thing you’ll want to do is drive 30 minutes up Tropicana or the freeway to get to your hotel. Then you have to deal with the parking garage there or the parking lot :idn:
    #3) I’ll say it once again you are better to stay at SAM’s TOWN since you’ll only be 5 minutes away! The place has an enclosed atrium with a “light show” every night and in the atrium is a waterfall and all the restaurants are in this area by the waterfall. The steakhouse is casual and the beef is perfect. This place is called Billy Bob’s and the food is excellent. Say hello to Maury and ask him if he’s got any good jokes to tell if you’re wtih the kids tell him you want to hear the clean ones! The room rates are a hell of a lot more reasonable and parking is in the lot or in the garage structure. RV’s are there all the time (p lot) so i KNOW you could leave your rigs there for the night and they have security 24/7.

So, if you really enjoy traffic (and the Lake Mead exit where you’ll get on/off the freeway from the track is under construction, good luck) or you really HAVE to stay on the strip, or you really don’t like a cowboy themed hotel or a good steak, then good luck. Don’t tell me I didn’t tell you so.

Finally, for those souls who really LOVE to drive as much as possible hauling your rigs all over, stop reading because I’m giving everyone else a short cut… If you want to go directly to the track before you check into any hotel here’s the ticket… you’ll be coming in from Utah through Mesquite on the I-15… Get off on the North Las Vegas Boulevard exit (yup, that is the strip) and run parralell with the freeway. You’ll go by the Vegas Speedway and Nellis Air Force Base. Turn left on NELLIS Boulevard. Go down Nellis 9 miles max till you get to Boulder Highway (and on the left hand side is Sam’s Town, you CAN’T miss it) On Boulder Hwy you’ll turn left, 3 miles later and on the left is the Stadium, turn left on Russell Road and do your stuff.

Have a good time, race for first and if you really want to celebrate your win, I have a few other suggestions but not suitable for printing… 8)
    Leave some money for the town, it helps keep it green, my folks will thank you. If you have legal troubles I know a judge who can help out 😀

Marc Elliott
    Participant

i need to know the location of area 51 so i can pick up some denny garwood fuel, wait oops, i mean rocket fuel, a stealthbomber, a couple of alien corpses, perhaps a ufo, maybe a tactical nuke so can reenact that movie and ride a nuke out the hatch of a b52, your the vegas man, TELL ME
    JK Denny

Joe Rosse
    Participant

Mike,

Any similar recommendations for the Rotax Max Challenge Finals (held at the XPlex next month)?

Mike Jansen
    Participant

Joe,

Hope this helps…
    If you want to stay on the strip stay on the south end ie Mandalay Bay$$$, Luxor$$, Excalibur$$ etc. The thing is this: are you going to be racing and beat by the end of the day to have fun or see the sights on the strip? Since Sloan (where the track is and closer to the California Nevada border) is 15-20 minutes away from these hotels you really don’t have the traffic issue you would going to the Sam Boyd Bowl. So it’s your choice, stay in Vegas the whole time or stay at a few of the places nearer the track. On that note, stay at GOLD STRIKE$, BUFFALO BILL$, OR NEVADA LANDING. All are inexpensive and on race weekends I could care less about having a mint on my pillow! Besides I am frugal at times and all I want is a clean hotel where I can sleep and have a shower and grub. If you stay at Buffalo Bills they have an AWESOME roller coaster! But I don’t know if i’d like to be staying anywhere near that thing since they run it till midnight. Make sure they hole you away from it! I’d ask. The strike and the Landing look nice and the meals are ridiculous. I always would stop there to have a steak – for 5.99!

So, in summation, stay on the strip and drive a little to the track (but with no traffic) or stay near the track in a clean hotel with killer food deals. The choice is yours. You’ll have to take I-15 through town and between noon and 7PM it can be like an LA traffic jam so just be patient. Regaurdless, you HAVE to hit the roller coaster! Does this help?

Mark, you have to take the Reno/ Carson City freeway (?395??? it’s clearly marked) to get past Tonopah. Realize that when the F-117 (Stealth Fighter) crashed in testing years ago it wasn’t even acknowledged by the air force (that fireball in the desert is just a wild fire, riiiiiiight..) nor the air base now called Groom Lake (I think). Even with my Vegas connections I can’t even get a SNIFF of the place. So Garwood must be doing sexual favours to get his fuel from there 8)

Angie MacEwen
    Participant

Mike,
    I am moving your post to General Discussion – I think it will get better response there…. and…. I have the power to do it!!!

ps. Say hi to Mikaela!

Anonymous
    Inactive

When you are as good with the ladies as I, you get that extra special fuel. For those of you that aren’t, there is a sheep ranch just oustide of town and you can get in the BAAAAAHCK way. 😆

No offense taken Mark. It’s all fun and games until somebody takes away my number 1 plate. Oh wait, I’m no longer the reigning champion. Nice job this year. It sounded like a lot of fun racing in Tag.

Good luck in Lost Wages.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Joe Rosse wrote:

Mike,

Any similar recommendations for the Rotax Max Challenge Finals (held at the XPlex next month)?

Joe,
    We are staying at the Roadway Inn & Suites on Tropicana Ave. They were the cheapest I could find anyplace and being on a tight budget.

Booked through Orbitz.com it was like $38 for sun-thurs, $46 for fri, and $50-ish for sat. All total, for eight nights was $430 with tax and everything.

Mike Jansen
    Participant

Dane,

Did you check into the hotels near the track that i mentioned? I was just wondering what kind of cabbage they were getting for a room.

Angie, did you ASK if you could change thisto general? I ran it by ‘sis and since she said it’s okay then its okay with me too. I’d have had to sick Dennis on ya!

Angie MacEwen
    Participant

No, Mike, I didn’t ASK firrst…. one of the few benefits of hosting the forum, I have the “moderate” functions at my disposal. Of course, the usuals around here don’t give me the opportunity to use them often.

:type: Angie

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.