simulator

Home Forums General Discussion simulator

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Nicole Bort
    Participant

i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on driving simulation games, :driver for practicing over the winter. any suggestions? :idn:

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Nicole,

Gran Turismo 4, Toca3, and rfactor all have great options. Send Alex an email [email protected] and he can fill you in on many of the finer points; he’s had a lot of time on the games because his sponsor makes a simulator chassis. Check out http://www.hotseatinc.com It’s a great surround sound system that holds your wheel/pedals/monitor while you’re seated in a nice racing seat. Let Alex know if you’re interested in getting one and he can get you a nice discount.

edupin
    Participant

I have been playing many race simulators for years and have found that RFACTOR for many reasons is one of the best ones. They have open the code so other programmers can create their own MODs and most of those modes are free to download once you have RFACTOR installed ($39.99 at http://www.rfactor.net ) the best part is that some guys from UK have developed a ROTAX MOD.
    You should also have a stearing wheel with Force feedback and pedals so the simulation is a real as possible.
    Should you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Good Luck

Eduardo Pinzon

Kurt Freiburg
    Participant

Nicole –

If you have a PS2, we have several games that you (and your Dad) are welcome to borrow to see if there are any that you like. GT4 included. Give me a call at 215-3093.

Jason Benoit
    Participant

I’m going to have to agree with Eduardo. Rfactor is the one that will give you the best feel for real life. Also you are able to race online with rFactor, which makes it nice if you can find a good league. I’ve been running with some guys for about 4 years now and they are some of the fastest cleanist guys online. If your interested checkout there website. http://www.bdrmotorsports.com

Jon Romenesko
    Participant

I’ve been a virtual racer far longer than I have been a real racer. 😛

Me? I swear by Gran Turismo 4 + the Hyperdrive Racing Cockpit + The Logitech Driving Force Pro. This, IMO, is probably the best combo you can buy out there for your home as far as realistic, immersive racing can go. I’ve logged god-knows how many hours on this (i dont even wanna guess!).

GT4 is a great, great game. It’s a true, hardcore simulator…none of that silly Need for Speed stuff. The physics are pretty accurate to cars (doesnt apply much to karts, unfortunately) from what i’ve found. Its got some issues, like the computer AI cars suck, and barely ever provide a challenge, or they just wipe the floor with you (and they dont know how to race! 👿 ). The car sounds suck as well. But there’s an amazing variety in the cars, and there’s some great tracks (Nurburgring, Infineon, and Sarthe, to name a few!), and the good far, far outweighs the bad. The Physics are top notch, well worth the buy. The Driving Force Pro is a fantastic steering wheel, best one on the market (it has 900 degree steering lock and very nice, strong force feedback!). And the Hyperdrive cockpit is just about the best/cheapest way to mount your wheel to something other than a table.

It’s kind of an expensive package all together, but there’s no better way to go full immersion virtual racing in your living room. It’s a great way to build your hand-eye coordination skills, feel for the car (albiet virtual), spatial awareness, and racer’s instinct. Not to mention a great way to kill an entire day! 8)

And you’d be shocked how many skills learned in the virtual helmet of GT4 will translate to the real world. If you pound around the Nurburgring Nordschliefe and Sears Point as much as I have….you’ll understand. :cheers:

Nicole Bort
    Participant

hey thx for all ur suggestions! 😀

Anonymous
    Inactive

do they have road america on any of these games?

Jason Benoit
    Participant

I know they have it for Nascar 2003 & rFactor but I’m not sure about the others.

Jon Romenesko
    Participant

GT4 is sadly lacking Road America, Spa, and many, many other good tracks. 🙁

edupin
    Participant

You will find all those in RFACTOR

Nicole Bort
    Participant

so these progam could be used for a shifter kart?

Jason Benoit
    Participant

rFactor is the only one that has a shifter kart mod that I know of.

Nicole Bort
    Participant

ok thx!

Craig Mansfield
    Participant

😛 I was in road America this weekend and worked with the Hot Seat race simulator. It had great reviews and was purchased by a Champ car team to be used by team members. I will have one at my house if you would like to try it sometime. They also help sponsor Alex Doman in the Skip Barber Series. I will bring one to the Track for the CSC series for other racers to try. You can get a 20% discount if you mention Alex’s name. Call me if you want to see the set-up. Craig 303-523-5921

See Jim’s post for more info.

Tell your dad to bring my tires by for the next race.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.