Rotax Max or TAG or Stock moto?

Home Forums New to Karting Rotax Max or TAG or Stock moto?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Randy
    Participant

Okay, so I’m semi-new karting and trying to evaluate what class would be best for me. As a little background, I’m an autocrosser with the RMSOLO guys and have driven everything from a 1972 MGB to a 125cc shifter kart with a built Honda motor. I had to sell the shifter in order to pay for a semester at college at one point, but now that I’m all graduated I’m looking to feed the addiction again. This time though I’m looking to play with you wheel to wheel guys. However, I’m having a hard time deciding what kart class to go with and would appreciate any and all input. Basically, I’m looking for a class that will let me race anywhere and with relatively low running costs (yes, I know low-cost racing is somewhat of an oxymoron) and still be competitive. Also, I’m looking for a class that’s still going to be around in 3-5 years. From looking around the web it looks like the three options that fit best are either a Rotax, TAG, or spec Honda shifter, but I have questions/concerns about all three.

1. It looks like the Rotax motor can also race with in the TAG class, but is it competitive against the other TAG motors?
    2. What is the cost of having a Rotax rebuilt and resealed, and how often is it necessary? Also, what are the other frequent maintenance items with this package?
    3. Whats the real world variance between Rotax engines? Is it necessary to “cherry pick” to be near the top locally?
    3. Which has the larger fields, TAG or Rotax?
    4. What is the ‘preferred’ TAG motor, both in terms of performance and longevity? Whats the favorite at the front? the midfield?
    5. Is it possible to rebuild/refresh a TAG motor yourself? And what does a typical refresh entail?
    5. If I go TAG or Rotax, will I miss shifting?
    6. Is spec Honda a stable class? and what happened to ICC/ KZ1 locally?
    7. How “spec” is spec Honda? what, if any, areas of the motor are open in the rules?
    8. Finally, are there any new classes “on the horizon” that I should wait for, or any current classes that I might be overlooking? (DD2 doesn’t really interest me)

Feel free to chime in with any other suggestions/opinions for someone looking to get into karting, and thanks in advance for the advice.

-Randy

richardhensley
    Participant

I recently went down the route of figuring out what to buy. Ultimately, I decided on the Rotax package and am intending on racing in the Rotax Masters classes at the The Track about 10-12 racers per event. The class has the largest consistent turnout. The shifter classes and Senior/Junior classes have been combined lately. I would suggest your next steps is to figure out which tracks you would race, and visit a race. I spent a year figuring this out, that was my worst mistake. I should have just bought a kart and started driving. I’m having so much fun driving and working on the karts.

1. It looks like the Rotax motor can also race with in the TAG class, but is it competitive against the other TAG motors?

The TAG classes with PPKRC had 12 racers a couple of weeks ago, and Greg Welch won a couple of heats and placed second in the final running a Rotax motor. I don’t know what other motors were present, I happen to have chatted with Greg on the Monday following the race.

2. What is the cost of having a Rotax rebuilt and resealed, and how often is it necessary? Also, what are the other frequent maintenance items with this package?

Top end rebuild is about $400. Top end is about 20 hours of run time. Full rebuild is $800-$1300 depending on how long you wait. Typical is $ I also frequently clean air filters and power valves. Repack pipe every 10 hours or so.

3. Whats the real world variance between Rotax engines? Is it necessary to “cherry pick” to be near the top locally?

Have no idea. I bought two Rotax karts, and they both run very strong. Both have updated clutches, and air boxes. One has a 2002 cylinder, and the other has a 2009 cylinder. The only thing I’ve learned is to ensure the cylinder is not from 2005-2008. Chassis, setup, and driving are the biggest differences.

3. Which has the larger fields, TAG or Rotax?

At “The Track” (4 races this season)
    Rotax Masters 10-12 drivers
    Shifters (combined) 7-9 drivers
    Rotax Sr/Jr 10-12 drivers

At PPKRC at SBR
    TAG 12 drivers
    Shiftesr 9 drivers

4. What is the ‘preferred’ TAG motor, both in terms of performance and longevity? Whats the favorite at the front? the midfield?
    5. Is it possible to rebuild/refresh a TAG motor yourself? And what does a typical refresh entail?

5. If I go TAG or Rotax, will I miss shifting?

Yes, you always miss what you don’t have. Is the real question will you have fun in momentum karts? Once again the answer is yes.

6. Is spec Honda a stable class? and what happened to ICC/ KZ1 locally?
    7. How “spec” is spec Honda? what, if any, areas of the motor are open in the rules?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.