Older Chassis In TaG?

Home Forums General Discussion Older Chassis In TaG?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Right now I have an older Margay chassis (mid to late 90’s from what I can find) and would like to start racing TaG. My thought was to just “freshen” the chassis up a little bit and replace the entire brake system, then just add a motor. My question to you guys/girls would be, do you think that an older chassis like this could still compete? I’m sure it probably weighs a bit more then the newer models, but I’m pretty light (about 150-160) so that might actually work out to my advantage. The chassis doesn’t have many adjustments you can make (minus camber and toe) which is what I think might make it a little “slower”.
    Ideas? Suggestions?

Doug Welch
    Participant

When we first started racing masny years ago, we purchased chassis that were at least 10 years old. I went through the karts like you are suggesting and we won the IMI track championship that year. So to answer your question, yes you can be competitve with an older chassis.

If you do get an older kart, take a good look at the underside of it. Look at the tubes for flat spoting. A little flat spoting of the tubes is ok, but severe wear creates a weak spot that really screws up the handling of the kart.

Once you determine that the chassis is ok to use, completly dissasemble it and check it for squarness. You most likely find that it is tweaked at bit and you can straighten it. You may want to repaint the frame at the same time.

As you are putting it back together, use all new bolts and nuts. Changing out the brake system is a good idea as older karts systems are usually completely worn out and are not safe. Carefully check each used part you use for cracks or other signs of fatigue. Replace them if in question.
    Once back together, your kart should be good as new.

While the kart is back together and compettive, you should remember that many of the racers in the Tag classes are very experienced drivers. Some of these guys are rocketships tied to the ground! It is very hard to bring a driver’s skills up to the level of a driver who has been at this for years. Even a driver with 2 years experience is often not on the same level as a driver with 10 years under his/her butt! Karting, like any motor sport is a sport that requires experience.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Doug is very experienced and I agree with his comments.

The Tag class in Colorado is full or great drivers, both the Seniors and Masters. You have guys running shifters on the national scene and tag, an Irish Champ, guys who have been to the Nationals and yes “newbies”, guys who run 2 and 3 different series at the same time (Club, CSC and Rotax Max Challenge).

But if you love the sport and just want to race, come on down and have fun. The racers are always helpfull-just ask!

:cheers:

Anonymous
    Inactive

Doug made some very good suggestions, especially about the underside of the frame.

I say go for it. I’ve always said guys can run a lot of karts they otherwise think they can’t.

Plus, I have a saying. Any go kart is better than no go kart.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for your input everyone.
    I actually had started tearing down the kart this past weekend and am in the process of replacing/freshening whatever needs it.
    Right now it’s using an older alky fueled raptor motor so the plan is to tour some of the local tracks and get some seat time before stepping up to the tag motor(s). Coming from an automotive background I understand there is nothing better then good track time.

Any suggestions as far as the actual motor goes? I had kind of narrowed the field down to either the leopard motor or the PRD fireball, but I’ve noticed what looks like a lot of rotax motors in Colorado so I might be re-thinking my decision.
    Again, thanks for the help…

Superslow
    Participant

I’d go for the rotax if you are interested in the least amount of hassle and also being competitive. It is hard to beat at IMI and grand Junction and you just take your chances elsewhere.
    Overall though, it costs far less to run than other two stroke motors, and you can do the max challenge etc if that takes your fancy.

larry toby
    Participant

If you decide to go the Leopard route, I can help you out if you want to save some dollars. I am new to karting this year and enjoying it immesely with my son. I bought a Tag last fall with a Leopard and then a Jr Rotax package for my son shorthly thereafter. For a variety of reasons we decided to go with the RMAX series which means he races and I watch. We do get to practice together though. While, I love the Leopard (broad powerband, fast at all the CO tracks and you don’t have to recharge the battery every time out!) I am considering replacing it with a Rotax so I can complete in the same series with my son. It will also allow me to chase some of those other grey hair Rotax master guys.

If you’re interested I’ll come up with a fair price. The engine was brand new last year and now has about 8 or 9 hours on it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks guys for all the help. With any luck I’ll see you out on the track (practicing) soon.

Larry, check your pm’s 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.