New Karter Looking Forward To Some Seat Time

Home Forums New to Karting New Karter Looking Forward To Some Seat Time

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brandon Goetz
    Participant

Hey everyone, I am excited to say that I have finally taken the plunge into the karting world. I grew up around engines and spent most of my childhood ripping around the track and trails on a dirtbike. I got my first taste of karting in High School when a buddy of mine invited me to one of his races where he was running his GP 125cc shifter kart. After he let me take it for a spin in the pits, I was pretty hooked.

I have always been a fan of cars, and I spent a good part of my High School and College years working at a car wash to pull in some cash to modify cars. My daily driver is currently a 2013 Focus ST which I love. Unfortunately as some of you know, there was a pretty brutal hail storm that blew through and my focus was victim. Luckily it wasn’t all that bad, but I didn’t really see it being worth fixing. As you can probably see where this is going, that is how I ended up here. I decided to finally take the plunge into karting instead. Below is a picture of the Focus pre-hail obviously.

ST

After researching a fair amount on this site and some others, I decided that the LO206 was probably the most cost effective way for me to get into the sport. My job doesn’t allow me to have off weekends so for now it is mainly just going to be a fun hobby. I found a very nice Praga kart with a new LO206 being sold by a fellow karter here that I pulled the trigger on.

kart1

I would love to hear if there were any specific threads or resources that really helped some of you when you were starting. If you guys have any tips on kart setup, maintenance, or gear tips that would be great. I look forward to meeting some of you out there on the track. If you see me out there, feel free to come say hi and if you have any constructive tips/advice to offer that is always welcome as well. I look forward to the many fun track days that I am sure lie ahead. Below are some more pictures of the kart and some of the gear that I have picked up already.

kart2

Brandon,

Welcome to Karting!!! We are thrilled to see you utilize the resources here and elsewhere online to assist you in making the first step into karting.

We do our best to update the technical section here on The Karter, but there are a lot of great resources on the web. One great group you may want to consider joining is the “Briggs 206 Colorado” group on Facebook. An overall positive and helpful group of local racers.

While it’s a bummer your work won’t allow weekends off, the good news is that many racers are here at the track during summer as well during the week!

As you have a Praga, one group in particular that may be helpful is DRC Motorsports in Parker, as they recently aligned a partnership with IPK, which manufactures the Praga kart line.

At anytime, reach out to us at [email protected] with karting related questions!

Best of luck and keep us up to date with how your Karting adventures go!

—Eric Gunderson

Brandon Goetz
    Participant

Eric,

Thank you very much for sharing that information with me. I have noticed it is hard to find much in the way of shops around here. It will be very helpful to know about DRC Motorsports given that they are partnered with IPK and located relatively close to me. I have joined both groups per your recommendation, and I appreciate your wishes going forward!

Brandon,

Awesome! Feel free to reach out to us anytime here on the forums, or the Facebook groups. You may also email the website at: [email protected] anytime.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.