National Kart News article about Rich Vito

Home Forums General Discussion National Kart News article about Rich Vito

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Gayle Vito
    Participant

In case anyone other than Rich subscribes to National Kart News, there is an article by the editor of the magazine in response to an email I sent him a couple of months ago. He does believe that changes could be made that would make an accident such as Rich’s less likely to happen in the future and that emergency contact procedures at race tracks should be implemented so that 6 hours do not go by while a person lies in the hospital and the family is unaware of the situation.

Rich was very ill 2 weeks ago and had to be transported by ambulance to Longmont United Hospital. The doctors did not know if they could treat his infection, but he has bounced back once again and after 5 days in the hospital, is back at Applewood Living Center. He has not gotten back to where he was, but is again making progress. A special wheel chair has been ordered for him. Perhaps by summer he will have it and be able to go outside some times.

thanks,

Gayle Vito

Sheldon Potter
    Participant

@Gayle Vito wrote:

I… the editor of the magazine…does believe that changes could be made that would make an accident such as Rich’s less likely to happen in the future and that emergency contact procedures at race tracks should be implemented…

The 2001 Earnhardt tragedy at Daytona was given meaning by a subsequent discussion in the auto racing community of driver safety, which, as I understand it, in large part lead to the introduction of head and neck restraints and track “safer barriers”.

I don’t personally know Rich, but I’ve been thinking for some time about his accident in that light as well. Like the aspects of the Intimidator’s Daytona accident that resulted in his death, I’m sure most would agree Rich’s seems fairly unusual. Nonetheless, as we’re all painfully aware, it only has to happen once.

Being a relatively recent convert to the karting addiction, I don’t know much yet about karter safety issues that might be equally ripe for deeper consideration, nor, for that matter, what discussions have previously occurred.

Having vicariously “witnessed” (courtesy of Gayle’s postings at CaringBridge) the pain and suffering of Rich’s accident to himself and his family, it’s clear to me that even a “black swan” event such as this can have profound ramifications for more than just the racer; in my humble opinion that might very well be reason enough, perhaps, for such consideration in the karting community.

Thus I’m curious about the specifics of what he suggested on this topic, if you’d care to post them.

Thanks. And, FWIW, I continue to think about and hope for the best for Rich and his family.

Sheldon Potter

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.