LO206 Fuel Pump Rules Question?

Home Forums General Discussion LO206 Fuel Pump Rules Question?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    richardhensley
    Participant

I just looked up the fuel pump rule in the briggs rule book. Here is what I found.

Only fuel pump, B&S part number 808656 is legal for competition. This fuel pump can be identified by both the part number and Briggs and Stratton Diamond logo on the pump face. All other pumps are prohibited. It is prohibited to pulse from the intake manifold. Relocation of the fuel pump is legal as long as it is spaced to less than 3/4 inch off of the control plate, B&S #555699, in a similar location that is both safe and secure. Measurement is from the base of the control plate to the bottom of the pump flange. Vertical mounting of the fuel pump is NOT allowed. The fuel pump must be pulsed from a pulse fitting mounted on the oil fill fitting located on the engine side cover. Aftermarket one-piece filler/pulse fittings such as shown on
    the right are permitted. The use of silicone sealant on the brass vent is permitted. A fuel pump return line to the fuel tank is prohibited. A fuel filter is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to insure that dirt and contamination within your fuel system does not impact your carburetors performance. This is not a tech item.

I don’t know when these rules were made part of the rule book. I am wondering if we are following these rules at the Track.

Thanks,

Richard

Greg Welch
    Participant

It is my understanding that Racing the Rockies will follow B&S rules. Some competitors are using the rectangle Mikuni pump and should be made aware of its legality leading into the first points race.

Eddy Wyatt
    Participant

Yep, my understanding as well, RTR is B&S rules (Spec). Good catch Richard…..

Kirk Deason
    Participant

Is there a performance difference? Why do people switch them?

richardhensley
    Participant

I’m not sure. Can the B&S pump be rebuilt? Does it suffer from the same pump gas deterioration that the rotax fuel pump membranes do?

Greg Welch
    Participant

The black plastic B&S pump is non re-buildable and I have had failures. When they go out it ends up just spraying oil all over the top of the engine.

I’ve had failures with the Mikuni Rotax pump as well, but it seems to be a tick more reliable. IMO if you were allowed to run the pulse off the intake and not out of the crankcase it would eliminate any fuel pump issues, but that is against the rule set.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.