keeping chain on 40mm axle

Home Forums LO206 keeping chain on 40mm axle

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Richard Gordon
    Participant

Do you have to use a floater or chain keeper on 40mm axles? Our 50mm axle hasn’t dropped one but the 40 has. My friends 40 does too. Thinking the extra flex is the issue. I’m using an Odenthal mount on both. #35 chains.

Eric Gunderson
    Participant

You may not like to hear this, but a lot of people are beginning to look towards the mounts as the problem point in the amount of chains getting thrown. The Odenthal mount is a decent mount, but a lot of people seem to have chain throwing issues regardless of axle size with this mount, or several other ‘mid range’ mounts seem to flex, break, or twist on the chassis. Briggs has even gone so far as basically endorsing the JTP mount, which was surprising…until you see the thing. They are beefy, immaculately machined, and they look like the hot ticket…with a serious price tag.

Assuming you have the two half sprockets aligned, the carrier tightened, and the chain doesn’t process (skip teeth or go tight-then-loose) when you’ve rigged it up on the kart when cold/not on track, my money would be on your mount allowing the Briggs to twist. 4 stroke engines produce a ton of torque, and twist mounts and chassis much more than a 2 stroke engine in most applications…chassis manufacturers and aftermarket parts people are still playing catch up in some cases.

Mike_Weber
    Participant

I had a Burris mount with horizontal ‘slide-holes’ on the bottom plate, and that gave me fits a few weeks ago as it kept twisting enough to drop a chain when under torque stress. I ordered my son the JTP mount, and I’m going to use his “three-hole” burris mount that will (hopefully) keep it from twisting. It came in the mail yesterday and it’s like a piece of art.

Richard Gordon
    Participant

That does look like a solid mount! It is a bit pricey though. I might try to a couple over the winter and sell my EZs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.