Ice karting tires

Home Forums Kart Businesses Ice karting tires

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Cory Ross
    Participant

Aspen Ice Karting is making a Heidenau Ice Racer tire order Monday(11/24). If anyone is interested having us order them a set of tires you can PM me here or send us an email at [email protected]

The Heidenau Ice Racer is a purpose built ice racing tire from Germany. They come in one size 11×4.50-5. The have place markings for about 140 ice screws per tire. The tires are $69 per tire. One set will easily last a few seasons.

Follow Aspen Ice Karting on Facebook for times when you can bring your own kart out to our track and put your ice driving skills to the test.

Rodney Ebersole
    Participant

Cory, have you used these tires yet? Have you tried these yet? http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131335437363?lpid=82

I hope we get a chance to compare them together sometime this winter.

Cory Ross
    Participant

We not going to run snow hog tires for several reasons. First they do not come in the standard 5″ rim size for karts, snow hogs are either a 4″ or 6″ rim. The costs saving go out the window when you have to buy all new rims. Second they were not designed for ice screws, they have a softer rubber making it easier to pull them out. The softer rubber also flexes more making it more difficult for the ice screw to properly bite the ice. The smaller 4″ and 6″ snow hogs also were not designed for higher speeds, when researching tires I found snow hogs with a speed rating under 10mph. Our track has a 900′ straight away I think would exceed that speed limit rating quickly. There is nothing about a snow hog that was designed for use with high performance karts. In my research I have found in Europe all the ice racers use this tire or ones similar to it.

Rodney Ebersole
    Participant

Cory Thank you for sharing your home work here. I now understand your concerns. Please understand that I started racing high performance karts before karts were designed to be high performance. Do you think that Aspen Ice karts will allow snow hogs if my group of snow hog abusers get a chance to race there? Why have a 900ft straight for ice racing? IMO anyone can drive straight on ice. 😛

Cory Ross
    Participant

The 900′ straight is just a small part of a .65 mile long road course on the ice. Everyone knows straight always are all about the corner coming onto them. Then you also need to slow for the corner at the end.

If we have a race the rules are still to be setup. Nothing has been written in stone.

Mike Edwards
    Participant

Wow Rodney…..Now everyone know how old you are 😛

Cory Ross
    Participant

Our first shipment of Heidenau Ice Racer tires arrived today. Took some pictures to help show the size of the tires and tread depth. For size comparison I placed a Mojo D2 tire in the pictures.

Cory Ross
    Participant

Looks like it is time to place another tire order. Pm me or email us at [email protected] to place your order. Any questions give me a call 970-618-1089

Set of 4 tires unstudded, $276

Set of 4 tires with 500 Kold Kutter ice screws uninstalled $320, you will have extra screws to replace any that might fall out.
    Installing your own ice screws allows you to do custom patterns and other things to help get better grip. here is a video for tips and ideas on how to install the ice screws. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLh65d7QEbE

Set of 4 tires with Kold Kutter ice screws installed $360

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.