Greeley gear ratio

Home Forums General Discussion Greeley gear ratio

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Anybody have any suggestions on what gear ratio to run next weekend at Greeley???

:idn:

Craig

Curt Kistler
    Participant

Bandi would be a good starting ratio. Work it out from there. The straight’s and hair-pins are pretty close to JB’s track.(Sorry no bump’s at the GGP) 😀 You will need lot’s of low end power to get up front.
    It will also come down to chassis tuning and driver ability. No team will have any advantages come Saturday morning.

Don’t forget to bring lot’s of gears, rains, parts, fuel, boom box and fire ext.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Note to the rookies:

If you don’t have an 11 tooth front gear you better get one quick.

stacey cook
    Participant

We have 11 tooths in stock at GJMS if anyone needs them.. 970-256-0107

Anonymous
    Inactive

Don’t forget to pick up the thin needle bearing that needs to be used with the 11T driver.

stacey cook
    Participant

Dane is correct the 11 tooth takes a smaller washer and a bushing to make it work… you can not use the needle bearing when you run the 11 tooth..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Craig,

You’re a running shifter vs Tag. Aren’t you? If so, you may opt to go out and run the gear you have on. It is possible that you won’t even run sixth gear. (not sure what engine packe you run) you need to get a feel for an unknown track and gear to liking. Sometimes that could mean carrying a gear through a certain section not wasting time shifting and maybe not having the “ultimate pull” location on the straight.

If you’re running Tag, gear it to come off the corners and give up as little as possible on the straights. Again, different engine packages will vary widely. Or you could bolt on a different Tag engine package that will favor the tight track! I believe this will be one of the first times we see the multiple engine package change outs this year by some of the teams that frowned on this practice in the past.

Rick

Anonymous
    Inactive

Rick,

I’m running a honda 125 shifter built by Billet in the 125 Novice class. Is it ok to not get into 6th gear on a track? Everyone tells me something different about using 6th gear.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You need to decide Craig. If you are trying to plan on gear selection, give Barry a call, I’m sure he or someone will have gear selection available to you. There have been a few temp circuits we have opted to net run 6th gear and be able to carry one gear through a certain section, lowering lap times and requiring less one handed driving through a tight or potentially rough section of the track. It is really a matter of going out and sizing the situation up. We run an Icc which has a much different power and torque curve than you, as well as gearbox ratio.

It’s trial and error. Bandi or even The Track might be a good start.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I heard the track layout was changing from what was posted near the scales at GJ. If it is, what will be the new longest straight length. That could help with some of the questions here. I hope the track layout doesn’t get too easy. That proposed hair pin after the straight looked like an exciting area. 😯

Bill

Angie MacEwen
    Participant

Bill,
    Curt posted this info on the GGP thread….

No major changes Joe. I spoke with Doug and there will be a couple of “Slow Down” kinks in critical areas where there has been concern from day one.
    From my perspective as Safety Director, I welcome the changes.

Doug Welch
    Participant

The longest straight is about 600′. We will be slowing them down just a bit before it compared to the first design. We have made the start/finish straight a bit faster. Bandi gearing should be a good start. Make sure your brakes are in good working order ’cause you’re gonna have to use them here!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry Angie,

Every time I tried to read that thread the computer froze on the umbrella girl and wouldn’t go to page 2 for some strange reason.
    :idn:

Bill

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh Bill!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.