Bleeding brakes

Home Forums General Discussion Bleeding brakes

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jon Romenesko
    Participant

I’ve been wanting to bleed the brake system on our kart for a while now. The fluid is fairly dirty and could definately use a bleeding/flushing. How do I bleed a system like this? It’s obviously way different from a car’s system, and i’ve been wondering how to do it.

My brake system is the SKM Evo 2-1. Anyone got any tips?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jon,

I’ve bleed and flushed a lot of car brakes. When the fluid gets dirty, I change it out. What I do know about this, you need the proper tools! I looked at two bleeders on line and cannot figure out how they work. They are a long tube with a reservoir on the end. I?m sure there is a connector tube you place on the bleed nut on the caliper and either draw fluid from the master cylinder or push it to the master cylinder. I looked at the photo of you brakes and could not see a normal (car type) bleed nut. Unless you want to pay about $75 for the kart brake bleeder, I suggest contacting a local kart shop.

Michael

hotwheels1517
    Participant

The best way I have found is to invest in a brake bleeder. It has its own container to hold the brake fluid. You screw it in to where you put in additional fluid, and fill it with brake fluid. Then you open one bleeder screw at a time and squeeze the bottle forcing out the fluid till it becomes clear. Repeat until all bleeder screws have been opened and fluid comes out clear. Just for your info I own KRT karts and thats how I bleed the brakes. I also suggest doing it at least every other kart outing. It’s amazing how much garbage is in the fluid.

Brian Moore,
    Father of Brandon #67 comer 80 and novice shifter

Joe Rosse
    Participant

Or if you want to save some $$$, you can make your own bleeder with some PVC pipe and brass fittings. At least on the Birels we’ve owned, there is a 1/8″ pipe thread fitting on top of the master cylinder, so standard 1/8″ brass pipe works well. Figure a 6-10″ piece, then a brass valve, then another 4-6″ of brass pipe. That attaches to a 8-10″ piece of 1″ or so PVC pipe. Screw the whole thing into the fitting on the master cylinder, fill the PVC with brake fluid, and open the valve. Then open the bleeder screws on the caliper (typically one on each side) and let gravity do the work (that’s why you want the bleeder unit to be fairly tall). Or you can press the brake pedal, open the bleeder, flush, and then close the bleeder without releasing the brake pedal. Faster, but slightly trickier.

Our birels had a simple Allen screw for the bleeders, whereas our Arrow has automotive style bleeders. (Actually the bleeder isn’t needed with the Arrow, since it has a reasonably large–by kart standards–fluid reservoir). I’d guess $10-15 at Home Depot

Jon Romenesko
    Participant

Cool, thanks Joe. I think i may try building my own before shelling out $50-75 on a purpose built one. It doesnt sound too hard. I took a look at the calipers today, and it looks like there is an allen head screw in each caliper, loosten those and out comes the fluid.

Rodney Ebersole
    Participant

I am also a DIY’er. I liked using a large liquid plunger with a clear hose and master cylinder barbed fitting. Screw it in and force feed the old stuff out.

Joe Rosse
    Participant

Freeze–

I like the simplicity of your solution!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Where did you get a large liquid plunger?

Rodney Ebersole
    Participant

I can’t remember, probably while grocery shopping with the wife. I am always looking for racing stuff, when I saw a turky baster or the feed store and bought a large animal serringe(sp).

Bruce Boman
    Participant

Eze Brake Bleeder

VACUME OPERATED SYRINGE BLEEDS MASTER CYLINDER IN SECONDS WITHOUT SPECIAL TOOLS OR CLIPS.REQUIRES ONLY ONE PERSON TO COMPLETE OPERATION!! INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED.

Part #: 356515

At http://www.pitposse.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.