2008 Greeley Grand Prix Canceled

Home Forums General Discussion 2008 Greeley Grand Prix Canceled

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Angie MacEwen
    Participant

Information provided by Rusty Newberry
    Post under: Greeley Grand Prix
    Title: 2008 Greeley Grand Prix Canceled

After much discussion, review and consideration, it has been mutually decided between GP Associates, LLC and the City of Greeley to cancel the 2008 Greeley Grand Prix. The cancellation of what would have been the 3rd annual comes with much regret.

Although the event enjoyed many successes, it is believed that the primary objective of this event stood too little promise of being fulfilled. That primary objective was to showcase the sport of Karting exposing it to as large an audience as possible and in doing so help to grow the sport on all levels within Colorado. The event was produced as a community service, non profit, and volunteer organization.

Three major but simple factors were observed during the GGP’s two year stint making success at any point unlikely. (In no particular order). First, a lack of turnout by the general population of Greeley and its surrounding cities relative to the media, advertising and the very positive publicity the event received. Without this audience there is no point. Two, a complete lack of support and involvement by the general Greeley business community despite significant efforts made and offered by the City, it’s staff, City Council, the Mayor, the area Chamber, etc, etc which would have made the event financially stable. And third, failure on the part of the Karting community to embrace and leverage opportunities such as this, particularly by those who had the most to gain.

GP Associates, LLC and the City of Greeley would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who did contribute, donate their time, energy and experience to making the GGP happen, it can be done. We would also like to thank the racers who participated in either and/or both of the events and helped to demonstrate some of the best racing in Colorado Karting. Last but not least we want to thank the sponsors that also made an effort to support this event and who are disappointed to see it go away, Ralph Schomp MINI, Hooters and most of all the City of Greeley for this opportunity. Thank you.

Rick Schmidt
    Participant

Pretty sad!

The most covered race I’ve seen in the karting magazines except the Rotax Grands. National recognition. And a hell of a great time. At least there are some fantastic photos to preserve the memory.

Maybe Steamboat?

Umbrella girls?

Beer garden?

😯

Anonymous
    Inactive

Maybe Englewood would appreciate it more! :clap:

Kirk Deason
    Participant

Rusty, thanks for your hard work trying to make the race work. I really enjoyed the weekend and have fond memories since the GGP was my first ‘real’ race two years ago. Bummer.

I’ll never forget the jump. I think every track should have a jump.

mweatherman
    Participant

Sorry to see the race end this way. It was a great venue and I for one will miss it dearly. I think that much of the Colorado Karting Community down-played and deiscredited this event way too much. We had a great opportunity to not only show the rest of the karting world but the general public how strong of a karting following we have out here. :bang For those of you who went to the Home Depot Grand Prix of Littleton, you know what kind of potential we can have at these events. Littleton was not perfect, but it was one of the most exciting temp race events I’ve seen in years. Rusty, Drew, and crew, you did a PHENOMINAL job at both of these events. :clap: I never realy understood what it takes to organize and event such as these until I lended a helping hand at Littleton. I can only hope that we continue to persue temp races such as these in the coming years, and I will be first in line to once again lend a helping hand. Great job Rusty, we are here for you.

Greg Johnson
    Participant

To bad. I was looking forward to this race. It was the best event of the season.

Brad Linkus
    Participant

There were actually 4 major reasons and the #1 reason which I think resulted in all of the other 3 was having the race on Memorial day. Some people just don’t get it. :loony: Why do you think we decided to dropped it from the CSC? If anyone gets the idea to have another street race please pick another date other than Memorial day.

Mike Jansen
    Participant

@blink wrote:

There were actually 4 major reasons and the #1 reason which I think resulted in all of the other 3 was having the race on Memorial day. Some people just don’t get it. :loony: Why do you think we decided to dropped it from the CSC? If anyone gets the idea to have another street race please pick another date other than Memorial day.

I second that!
    Family time away from the races vs racing… Family will win out probably 90 percent of the time…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.