Reply To: ? TEARDOWN OF SEALED ROTAX MOTORS BY TECH DIRECTOR?

Home Forums General Discussion ? TEARDOWN OF SEALED ROTAX MOTORS BY TECH DIRECTOR? Reply To: ? TEARDOWN OF SEALED ROTAX MOTORS BY TECH DIRECTOR?

Doug Welch
Participant

@Tom Dennin wrote:

Has a sealed Rotax ever been found to be illegal with regards to what is behind the seal???

Yes, some sealed Rotaxs have been declared illegal. These engines were found in the junior classes (why am I not surprised) and they were for squish non-compliance. It seems some were trying to run squish on the very low limit and carbon buildup on the piston took them under. The seal was not broken to find this non-compliance. To my knowledge, no Rotax with a seal has ever been found to be non-complinate for items under the seal.

For big deal events, like RMax grands and Black Rock this summer, all the top engines were torn completly down, all were good, and they always had a dealer around who would reassemble and re-seal for minimal charge.

A question I have, were non-invasive techniques employed before the seal was broken? Was squish, head volumn, stroke and a bore scope used to check all the PERFORMANCE enhancing items done before the seal was broken?