ROTAX AIRBOX RULES BY TAGUSA

Home Forums General Discussion ROTAX AIRBOX RULES BY TAGUSA

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Brad Linkus
    Participant

We have been informed by Marty Casey of TAGUSA that the Rotax engine must run the stock airbox’s and filters. You may not use an aftermarket airbox like the one Tom Dennin used Sunday. There is a significant power advantage between them.

Mike Jansen
    Participant

:taz

Tom Dennin
    Participant

So here is my big question and quoting the rules below straight from TAGUSA,

10.3.2 Air Box ? (where required due to track requirements) OPEN, but must be CIK or, RLV approved air box with two inlet tubes not to exceed 22.0 mm (+/- 1.0 mm) inside diameter and 95.0 mm minimum length. The 2004 homologated CIK, KG and Freeline boxes are not legal. All air boxes may not be modified although the rubber flange may be trimmed on the inside of the air box to the flange lip. Aftermarket internal foam air filters are allowed as long as no modification is made to the air box itself. The position of the air box is open.

My airbox that I had on was not modified, nor 2004 homologated, 22.0 mm (+/- 1.0mm), CIK approved. What rule was broken?

Also can you send me anything from Marty that states in fact only the rotax airbox can be used in TAG. I do not want to be illegal.

So here is the next question does this apply or are there other special rules out there for the rotax????

10.3.3 Carburetors – OEM as supplied from the engine manufacturer, jetting is open. Washers may be added to the stock needle jets for the purpose of tuning, must be the OEM needle jets. The way the throttle cable connects to the arm and the bracket that holds the cable are non-tech; you must not modify the manifold or the carburetor, and use all the factory fasteners. The arm, throttle shaft and butterfly are OEM with no modifications. The slide assembly is included in jetting but must retain OEM replacement parts. No button head screws in butterfly. Surface finish of venturi and bore must remain as manufactured. Butterfly type: Must be of original manufacture and stock. Fuel may only pass through stock metering orifices. Any means taken to bypass fuel to the engine in any other manner is not allowed. Any components not specified herein must be stock appearing. Inlet springs are non-tech item. Machine work to the throttle shaft is not allowed. Surface finish of venturi and bore must remain as manufactured. Carburetors must be matched to engine as homologated. All pumper style carburetors are single-pumpers with plastic fuel cap. Fuel adjustment needles must be stock from the needle top to the ?O? ring step. Needles may be modified beyond the ?O? ring step to attach needle extensions. No remote carburetor adjusters or triggers.

Don’t want all the rotax guys that change the slides, pilot jets, needles, emulsion tubes, venturi, floats,etc…. to be illegal.

Just a note here, if you look at the two practice sessions on mylaps during the race on Sunday at IMI you will notice similiar times. In the TAG sr practice I had on the KG airbox and in the TAG master practice I had on the rotax spec airbox. My times were only marginally better. No significant advantage.

Mike Jansen
    Participant

Tom,

You’re using that 9.5 motori7 head aren’t you? 😀

Actually I think you need the “s” on the side of your kart.

So we can say…. well, you get the idea… Look at that S-kart-go…

I couldn’t resist, so shoot me

Brad Linkus
    Participant

Best thing for you to do is call Marty Casey direct. 253-266-1335

cgordon
    Participant

This was posted on the Colorado Karter last year regarding TaG USA rules on the carb and airbox. I think Doug Welch originally posted it:

“The pdf for the Rotax does state the #40 slide. However, section 2.2.?? on carbs states that the slide is part of jetting and that jetting is open. TagUSA rules state specifically that the slide is part of jetting, jetting is open but that the slide assembly must be OEM (Dell’orto).

I’ve specifically talked with Marty Casey, national tech director for TagUSA, on this issue. He tells me that section 2.2.?? overrides the pdf sheet from Rotax. As long as we run the standard Dell’orto VHSB, we can change all the internals we want with standard Dell’orto parts.

The same issue on rads and airboxes. The pdf talks about the standard rad and airbox, however, the body of the TaGUSA rules let us run any rad or airbox we want. Again, the writen rules overrides the pdf from Rotax. “

Charles

Brad Linkus
    Participant

I don’t think it is the same for the airbox, you better call to find out for yourself.

Tom Dennin
    Participant

Charles’ point is exactly my understanding with regards to the pdf files that simply contain Rotax Max Challenge specs. In otherwords, RMC rules are covered with the pdf file and the TAGUSA rules supercede the pdf files.

How do we get Marty Casey to respond directly to the CSC and have it posted here for all to see?

When I ran this airbox this weekend I showed everyone. It would have been impossible to hide. I made sure it fit in the rules as presented by TAGUSA.

Tom Dennin
    Participant

Just so we are all clear here, directly from the TAGUSA website http://www.tagracing.net

These are the rules regarding airboxes and carbs. They are simply numbered differently in the CSC rule book

2.2 AIR BOX – OPEN, but must be CIK or RLV approved air box with two inlet tubes not to exceed 22.0 mm (+/- 1.0 mm) inside diameter and 95.0 mm minimum length. The 2004 CIK homologated KG and Freeline boxes with internal filters are only legal in TAGTM Shifter and TAGTM 4-Stroke classes. All air boxes may not be modified although the rubber flange may be trimmed on the inside of the air box to the flange lip. Aftermarket internal foam air filters are allowed as long as no modification is made to the air box itself. The position of the air box is non-tech.

2.3 CARBURETORS – OEM as supplied from the engine manufacturer, jetting is open. Washers may be added to the stock needle jets for the purpose of tuning, must be the OEM needle jets. The way the throttle cable connects to the arm and the bracket that holds the cable are non-tech, you must not modify the manifold or the carburetor. The arm, throttle shaft and butterfly are OEM with no modifications. The slide assembly is included in jetting but must retain OEM replacement parts. No button head screws in butterfly. Surface finish of venturi and bore must remain as manufactured. Butterfly type: Must be of original manufacture and stock. The Welch plugs are non-tech but must be of the same size and shape that comes in the overhaul kits, the fuel may only pass through stock metering orifices. Any components not specified herein must be stock appearing. Inlet springs are non-tech item. Machine work to the throttle shaft is not allowed. Surface finish of venturi and bore must remain as manufactured. Carburetors must be matched to engine as homologated. All pumper style carburetors are single-pumpers with plastic fuel cap. Fuel adjustment needles must be stock from the needle top to the ”O” ring step. Needles may be modified beyond the ”O” ring step to attach needle extensions. No remote carb adjusters or triggers

Mike Jansen
    Participant

Just curious…

Wouldn’t facing the trumpets towards the airstream constitute a ram air affect or a poor man’s turbo/supercharger? I remember a few cars in the early 70’s that advertised “ram air” and yes, it did increase the performance.

I’m glad we’re getting this out in the open now so we don’t have any DQ’s later. Same thing pertaining to those that are racing in the Rmax race here shortly…

Tom Dennin
    Participant

Everything has been in the open since last year. The radiator is open, the airbox is open with the restrictions listed in section 2.2 and the jetting is open with restirictions listed in section 2.3. The pdf files are superceded by the TAGUSA rules.

No confusion. No issues.

All we have so far is Brad saying Marty said that the airbox is illegal, while Doug stated that Marty said the airbox and radiator are open. Both persons are equally important with regards to CO racing. What Doug stated last year seemed to be just fine until Sunday when the rules were tested at a club race.

Brad Linkus
    Participant

Marty sent this email today:

Brad
    I cant get in to post to the csc site.

Last year I changed the rule pertaining to the Rotax, If you look at the Rotax PDF it’s been disabled and states that you must follow the RMAX rules. This was done after meetings with Rotax and the Importer in early 2006. The only thing that is inplace is the seal program, TAGUSA has no seals. Any engine that has been equiped as per the old rules after January 1,2007 must be deemed none compliant.

Marty Casey Technical Director TAGUSA / TAG International

Tom Dennin
    Participant

I got the same post on ekartingnews.com under TAG.

What does that mean to the carb then? Can we change around the jetting (ie. needles,pilot jets, emulsion tubes, etc….)?

On the note of the airbox, I was totally illegal then. I apologize to all and am glad that my results did not affect the race results whatsoever. Brad was totally correct and I was completely wrong. My bad 😥

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.