Reply To: Newbie…is Rmax right for me?

Home Forums General Discussion Newbie…is Rmax right for me? Reply To: Newbie…is Rmax right for me?

Jon Romenesko
Participant

Speaking from experience, I wouldnt buy something overly new/nice when you’re first starting out. Chances are, you’ll beat it up fairly well, and why bother beating up something nice new and shiny (and expensive), especially if you’re not really planning to race the first year?

A good used package is the way to go for a noob, but not too old and in decent shape (duh). Also, make sure you have a pretty good idea of how many hours are on a given engine you’ll buy, could come back and bite you if you don’t (once again, speaking from experience. but like Rick pointed out, the Rotax is a fantastically durable engine). The learning curve is very steep at first, but it’l flatten out eventually. Just asking questions is one of the best things you can do. And it’s racing, so you’ll probably get frustrated with it at times, but just stick with it….it’s worth it. 8)

There’s just so very, very much to learn in this sport. Hell, i’ve been in it for about a year and a half, and i still haven’t graduated from the noob school yet. 😛